Facebook login: Migrate from one Facebook app to another

Hello!

I was using a facebook app to allow users to login to my forum.

Several users registered/signed up using that app.

For some reasons that app does not work anymore so I had to create a new one.

I created a new facebook app and configured it in my IPB. But now all my users get the following message:
"Your account needs to be linked before you can sign in with this method. Log into the front-end to complete this and then try again."

But of course no one can login.

Do you know if I can migrate from the old Facebook app to the new one? What kind of changes do I need to make ?

You need to get the old one working properly. You cant create a new one and have peoples logins working from the old link as they are linked to a different facebook application

Yes but unfortunately Facebook won't tell me what is wrong with it. They do not show anything in the list that needs to be corrected. And the appeals I did had no result.. like no response from them at all!

So I figured maybe there is something in the database that I could update in order to link them to the new app?

Just now, Trahis said:

So I figured maybe there is something in the database that I could update in order to link them to the new app?

Unfortunately not. The login is authorized by Facebook so the user would need to re-authorize their account on that end with your new Facebook app.

6 minutes ago, Trahis said:

Yes but unfortunately Facebook won't tell me what is wrong with it. They do not show anything in the list that needs to be corrected. And the appeals I did had no result.. like no response from them at all!

This would be a Facebook issue.  They're the ones actually doing the authorization and passing back the "valid" token.  The issue is not on the IPB side, but instead on the Facebook side.  

Personally with the way Facebook continually changes its rules all the time, I would suggest migrating users away from it.  Eventually down the road, they're going to make it even more difficult for small non-mega sites to leverage the solution and you'll have even more problems later OR...  you'll find them change their rules one day without telling you and you find the app does not work without any notice and you're dealing with the fire drill at a time when it's super bad for you.

14 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Você precisa fazer o antigo funcionar corretamente. Você não pode criar um novo e fazer com que os logins das pessoas funcionem a partir do link antigo, pois eles estão vinculados a um aplicativo do Facebook diferente

😉

On 6/25/2024 at 11:51 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

You need to get the old one working properly. You cant create a new one and have peoples logins working from the old link as they are linked to a different facebook application

Can you give me some technical information about it? How the accounts are linked to the old facebook application? I mean how does IPB know that an account is linked with a specific Facebook app?

Can you give me some technical information about it? How the accounts are linked to the old facebook application?

As mentioned above, it isn't us who is determining that. It is Facebook.

Part of the authentication process with Facebook is that you have an API key and an App identification. Those two are tied together to your Facebook app on Facebook. If you use a new Facebook app, it will break.

Just now, Jim M said:

As mentioned above, it isn't us who is determining that. It is Facebook.

Part of the authentication process with Facebook is that you have an API key and an App identification. Those two are tied together to your Facebook app on Facebook. If you use a new Facebook app, it will break.

That is exactly that I cannot understand. 

IPB configuration asks for 2 things: an APP id and and API key. Then it uses these 2 things to make requests to Facebook.

So a user tries to login to IPB, they get forwarded to Facebook and if the login is successful, Facebook sends a token to IPB. Then IPB uses this token to fetch the data from Facebook regarding that user.

In all this process the App ID and the API key were used to only ensure that the Facebook token it is safe to be returned to the callback url set on the Facebook page.

So everything should be fine. Facebook does not know if there was 1,2 or 50 billion apps previously used in IPB.

So at which point IPB decides that to throw the following error.. ?
"Your account needs to be linked before you can sign in with this method. Log into the front-end to complete this and then try again."

And how do I even login to link my account if Facebook login does not work? And link my account to with what? I have one account..

😆😅

That would mean we're getting an invalid token back from Facebook (as the app ID and key are related to the token) and thus, can't login to the account so it is attempting to create a new account and sees that the email address is already present.