Unable to find new or existing members related to email verification requests

Not sure whether this is related to this topic or not:
https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/477804-email-notification-sent-repeatedly/?do=getNewComment

Both of my self hosted communities use SMTP to gmail to send emails and email verification is required for registration. The larger community has had new registrations disabled for 2 months. The smaller community has new registrations enabled. In both cases, I see outgoing email verification emails in my gmail sent folders but I cannot find new or existing members associated with the target email addresses. I only notice this is a problem because the emails keep bouncing. The same email verification email to the same addresses is being sent and bounce 4 - 8 times a day each. There's nothing in my IPS email errors logs. The repeats are for verification for the community that has new registrations disabled, so I assume these verification requests are for email address changes? I don't know how to stop the emails from re-sending or being sent in the first place.

Any suggestions for what I can look at next? Thanks

No, that wouldn't be related in any way. From what you are describing, it would indeed be for email changes. So you wouldnt see the email for any new or old accounts, as its not actually been changed yet. Does it not give any indication as to the members name in your email there?