Disabling app before upgrade outside admin panel

Greetings 😉 Been a while.

I am now in the process of upgrading my community from 4.5 (yes I know) to the latest however:

The existing site is broken due to the host upgrading php ergo I cannot access the admin panel , not a big issue except the site has core/forums/cms(content)/downloads and I am not updating cms/content as we never really used it. There is a bit of data for it but its very old outdated articles so I'm not fussed about it.

So we are upgrading core/forums/downloads only.

As expected the upgrader complains:[quote]

Some source files are not correct for the current version

If you are sure the files have been uploaded correctly, make sure the permissions are set correctly on them.

-----/public_html/applications/cms/Application.php
    -----/public_html/applications/cms/api/comments.php
    -----/public_html/applications/cms/api/records.php

etc etc etc , all are this application.

I'm debating if to:

> try the  bypass for it but I suspect that might just break something during upgrade

> turn the cms off now in the database aka switch app_enabled from 1 to 0 for this then perhaps remove the tables (or leave them, better to leave I suspect as their tiny)

> perhaps try the recovery in constants to switch it off but I suspect the version mismatch will cause issues perhaps

I do have backups although its quite long winded to restore if I needed to hence wanting to ask first as I've not really used much of the 4x series for a couple of years.

Edited by AndyF
Tidied topic

12 minutes ago, AndyF said:

try the  bypass for it but I suspect that might just break something during upgrade

This is realistically the only option while the system is in it's current state. Even disabling one of our applications, the upgrader will still tell you that you need to grab the files if it sees it installed.

Once you tell the system to bypass the file check, the system would detect that you do not have the current release's files for any of those applications loaded on the file system and thus skip it.

18 hours ago, Jim M said:

This is realistically the only option while the system is in it's current state

Thank you Jim.

Silly to ask really I suppose as that was the only logical answer. Had this been 3x or 2x which I know -very- well inside out I'd of never had to ask. Just time was short so a quick topic, (perhaps my 2nd 'support' one in a decade) was worthwhile, certainly posted a lot of info in the past.

So yes I did the bypass (and yes I removed it aka the "MD5 Check" immediately after)

Had the site not been broken I'd of been able to look at this next weekend to simply try a few ideas on a localhost test of it.

There is a small issue a white page however nothing in logs either in webroot or in the system itself that I see, but its not a big issue at this moment in time. I'll get back to that one as it concerns ACP removal of CMS. Something for a new topic later.