Enforcing Uploaded Image File Names

I have a pet peeve, images uploaded to our gallery display their file name as the title. For example a member uploads their image and doesn't change the title image, so it then displays something like DSC2849.jpg instead of for example "Oak Cabinet".

I have rules displayed for image uploading in each gallery, but they are apparently ignored. Is there any way to auto enforce changing the title of an image uploaded to our galleries? Our community is gallery and image heavy, visual arts. It drives me crazy that folks are lazy and just use their default image file title. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Without enforced image renaming  from the default file name during the upload it renders the search for images redundant

if for instance I'm on a car forum and I want to search the gallery for a specific make and model of car but all of the images are called DSCwhatevever.jpg then I'm not going to get many results

ATM renaming images is optional, personally I'd prefer to make it a condition of uploading to storage space that I'm paying for, whilst I'm grateful for the content it would be better if it was in a usable format, as it is, once an un named image has left the latest image feed it will probably never be seen again

3 hours ago, Jelly Belly™ said:

ATM renaming images is optional,

It is not only optional. It is difficult to find for users. Our users upload a single image and then cannot find the field for the caption. They do not understand that they have to upload, then click on the uploaded image, then fill the caption, then submit. I would prefer a simple GUI for single upload, where the user is forced to give caption AND description for the image.

We are going to pause our gallery with 39,000 images and 350,000 comments because of this problem. Indeed, images cannot be found, moderators are tired of editing the captions and descriptions.

I hope there will be a better solution in v5.

On 2/28/2024 at 10:06 PM, Sonya* said:

We are going to pause our gallery with 39,000 images

That's actually a great idea, we have a ton of images now that have an arbitrary file name as the title, it looks ugly and as mentioned above, it's un searchable. I have reminded members to name their images appropriately, but not everyone gets the message, and some just flat out don't care.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:06 AM, Sonya* said:

We are going to pause our gallery with 39,000 images

we have nearly 800,000 images, if we paused the gallery then they would just use photobucket instead and still not name them
We also have a monthly photo competition, members nominate other peoples photos to be included and we then have to go hunting for the image information, it's time consuming and sometimes we have to ask the owner of the photo which then ruins the surprise of finding out that they have been nominated