504 Gateway Timeout Error - Manual Application Upload

Hello,

I received an application tar file from a developer. When attempting to use the manual upload function with the tar file, I can select the tar file and click the Install Button. This loads for a couple of minutes, then my server returns a 504 Gateway Timeout Error.

Installing applications directly from the marketplace seems to work as expected (or did while the Marketplace was open), but the manual upload fails. I'm not sure if this is because the actual upload fails or some other issue. No errors are reported by either my site host nor in the logs in the ACP. Any ideas what may be contributing to this issue?

How big is the TAR file you're uploading? Have you tried installing any other applications or plugins?

A timeout error means the server didn't have enough time to process it. I can think of various possibilities:

• The TAR file is too big
  • The TAR file is corrupt or badly formatted (maybe it wasn't exported correctly or the install files aren't correct)
  • Your server's timeout value is too low (you said installing from the marketplace works, so this is unlikely)

7 hours ago, teraßyte said:

How big is the TAR file you're uploading? Have you tried installing any other applications or plugins?

A timeout error means the server didn't have enough time to process it. I can think of various possibilities:

• The TAR file is too big
  • The TAR file is corrupt or badly formatted (maybe it wasn't exported correctly or the install files aren't correct)
  • Your server's timeout value is too low (you said installing from the marketplace works, so this is unlikely)

How big is the TAR file you're uploading?

15 Mb. Would the maximum upload size be an Invision setting or a server-side setting?

Have you tried installing any other applications or plugins?

I've been able to upload an update to my site theme if that counts. But this is the only time I've had a plugin install outside of the marketplace.

Edited by Foxtrek_64

Yes, theme updates count, and most likely the size is the problem. The marketplace allows files up to 2 MB. That file is at least 8 times larger. Your server doesn't have enough time to process the entire file.

Usually, I would simply suggest asking your hosting to raise the timeout value, but given the size, I'm also curious as to what application you're trying to upload. Maybe you could also look into reducing the TAR's size by asking the developer if it's possible.

Edited by teraßyte

10 hours ago, teraßyte said:

Yes, theme updates count, and most likely the size is the problem. The marketplace allows files up to 2 MB. That file is at least 8 times larger. Your server doesn't have enough time to process the entire file.

Usually, I would simply suggest asking your hosting to raise the timeout value, but given the size, I'm also curious as to what application you're trying to upload. Maybe you could also look into reducing the TAR's size by asking the developer if it's possible.

I don't mind sharing.
I have @aXenDev's Font Awesome 6 plugin here:

In order to unlock FontAwesome 6 Pro, I sent them a private message showing my payment receipt for Pro, and they sent me a plugin that enables Pro.

I have to wonder if the size is because it has downloaded the entire Font Awesome 6 library and included it in source form. The largest file in the tar seems to be data/theme.xml. That file is 15 mb by itself.

aXen, perhaps you could chime in here? Also out of curiosity, why not just modify the free plugin to accept an optional kit link? Kits are FontAwesome's preferred way to distribute their Pro version. If no kit link is provided, it should fall back to the public (free) version. If a kit link is provided, it should attempt to use that.