Moderator merged an old post into a newer Topic, replacing OP

Go to solution Solved by z929669,

What's the 'proper' way to undo this? Here's the topic, and the second post should be the OP.

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/17510-dyndolod-300-alpha-142/

Source Topic: https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/19046-dyndolod-hangs

Ideally, I'd like to undo this merge action, but I don't see a way to do that. I can manually do things at the DB level via phpMyAdmin or MySQL, but this might cause PK/FK issues or other unintended consequences.

I searched the forums, but found nothing useful ... this MUST be a recurring problem, so hoping for a fast solution.

Edited by z929669

Unfortunately, there is no undo back to what you had prior to the merge other than a full database restore.

If you don’t want to do that, you can manually split each post that was merged into a new topic. That will be time consuming if there are a lot of posts though. 

Just now, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, there is no undo back to what you had prior to the merge other than a full database restore.

If you don’t want to do that, you can manually split each post that was merged into a new topic. That will be time consuming if there are a lot of posts though. 

It's only a single post replacing the OP I want to get back. The problem is that it's the OP I want to get rid of. Can I somehow just delete it so the OP (now the second post) is restored?

Just now, z929669 said:

It's only a single post replacing the OP I want to get back. The problem is that it's the OP I want to get rid of. Can I somehow just delete it so the OP (now the second post) is restored?

You cannot. As the OP was changed in this action because it is the older date.

Just now, Jim M said:

You cannot. As the OP was changed in this action because it is the older date.

So I assume I must split the entire Topic starting at the second post then? (first creating a placeholder topic).

To restore the source topic, I would then maybe merge the now defunct topic?

• Solution

Simplest solution was to manually edit the relevant two records in forum_posts and forum_topics, keeping the original record IDs intact but changing all other variables. Then I simply deleted the second post. I previously copied the defunct OP into the new OP of the source.

10 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Simplest solution was to manually edit the relevant two records in forum_posts and forum_topics, keeping the original record IDs intact but changing all other variables. Then I simply deleted the second post. I previously copied the defunct OP into the new OP of the source.

Keep in mind that a manual edit of your database is not recommended or supported (Any issues resulting from this change will not be supported.) so while that may work for you, it is not something we suggest.