Many requests?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Can you tell me what these requests are? (highlighted in red).

GET /news/page_title/&post=744068078_1188&el=snippet HTTP/1.0

There are many such requests a day and they all return a 404 error (because there are no such pages).
Where do these requests come from and what do they mean?

• Solution

Was that an old URL of yours that may be posted somewhere? Ultimately, I would not be too concerned with 404 errors. Bots/humans are going to do weird things and the software is working right now to simply just show a 404 error.

If you're worried about it, you may wish to bring the IP address up to your hosting provider and ask for recommendation on if it is legitimate traffic or not. If it isn't, they likely can block it for you.

11 hours ago, Jim M said:

Bots/humans are going to do weird things and the software is working right now to simply just show a 404 error.

It took 24 hours to understand and make sense of the issue...
This request: &post=744068078_1188&el=snippet HTTP/1.0
Sticks to the new pages (which I've recently added).
The idiocy of the situation is that this search bot checks post=744068078_1188 and description =snippet of the new page BEFORE it appeared in its database(bot DB).
*Compares the page description with the page description not yet created in BOT database - that's just nonsense! idiots! ))) 😡

Edited by LastPlay

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, LastPlay said:

It took 24 hours to understand and make sense of the issue...
This request: &post=744068078_1188&el=snippet HTTP/1.0
Sticks to the new pages (which I've recently added).
The idiocy of the situation is that this search bot checks post=744068078_1188 and description =snippet of the new page BEFORE it appeared in its database(bot DB).
*Compares the page description with the page description not yet created in BOT database - that's just nonsense! idiots! ))) 😡

create htaccess rewrite or block that in bot.txt. 

Had that many on my site.