Rebuilding search index - Taking a LONG time

Canal World

We're rebuilding our ElasticSearch index on our forum running Invision v4.7.4 but for some reason this is taking very long, nearly 24 hours to index 250 items. New items seem to get indexed immediately.

The VM that runs our elastic instance (version 7.2.0) is OK on resources, we have set up an EasyCron to ensure scheduled tasks run, though we do  have a moderate amount of traffic circa 300-500 posts per day so I doubt that would make much difference. Background processes in the admin CP remain at 0% after several hours. 

Although we have nearly 3 million posts, this process would typically take about 2 hours to complete when we have rebuilt the search index in recent times.

Any idea what could be amiss?

Thanks?

Edited by CanalWorld

Thanks for the reply.

Historically we didn't use a cron for this because we thought the site activity was sufficient. However, I set up EasyCron in attempt to resolve this issue, a few errors (http 500) but most succeed without issue. (242 successes vs. 10 failures - as of earlier today)

Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by CanalWorld

6 minutes ago, CanalWorld said:

Thanks for the reply.

Historically we didn't use a cron for this because we thought the site activity was sufficient. However, I set up EasyCron in attempt to resolve this issue, a few errors (http 500) but most succeed without issue. (242 successes vs. 10 failures - as of earlier today)

You would need to check those failures as they likely are slowly your tasks. 

Thanks. 

I tried to run the "queue" task manually and it gave http 500 error. I subsequently checked the logs and note that it was also complaining about an old member map plugin, which is already disabled. I tried to uninstall the member map from System > Applications but get the same 500 error. - I wonder if they're related? If so, how else can I remove the plugin given the error? (attached)

Edited by CanalWorld

27 minutes ago, CanalWorld said:

Thanks. 

I tried to run the "queue" task manually and it gave http 500 error. I subsequently checked the logs and note that it was also complaining about an old member map plugin, which is already disabled. I tried to uninstall the member map from System > Applications but get the same 500 error. - I wonder if they're related? If so, how else can I remove the plugin given the error? (attached)

Please contact the author for assistance in uninstalling any third party application.

OK so I managed to remove the member map by updating it first, followed by removing it. Same issue remained... I enabled error logging and then when I run the "queue" task under System > Settings > Advanced Configuration > Queue, I got the following:

Fatal error: Declaration of IPS\chatbox\Rooms\_Chat::getItemsWithPermission($where = [], $order = null, $limit = 10, $permissionKey = 'read', $includeHiddenItems = IPS\Content\Hideable::FILTER_AUTOMATIC, $queryFlags = 0, ?IPS\Member $member = null, $joinContainer = false, $joinComments = false, $joinReviews = false, $countOnly = false, $joins = null, $skipPermission = false, $joinTags = true, $joinAuthor = true, $joinLastCommenter = true, $showMovedLinks = false) must be compatible with IPS\Content\_Item::getItemsWithPermission($where = [], $order = null, $limit = 10, $permissionKey = 'read', $includeHiddenItems = IPS\Content\Hideable::FILTER_AUTOMATIC, $queryFlags = 0, ?IPS\Member $member = null, $joinContainer = false, $joinComments = false, $joinReviews = false, $countOnly = false, $joins = null, $skipPermission = false, $joinTags = true, $joinAuthor = true, $joinLastCommenter = true, $showMovedLinks = false, $location = null) in /var/www/vhosts/canalworld.net/public_html/forums/applications/chatbox/sources/Rooms/Chat.php on line 131

Obviously this points towards the third party plugin called chatbox BUT it was (and is) disabled. 

We weren't using the plugin, but could not uninstall either due to above issue! However, it seems that updating the plugin (at a cost) has resolved the issue. Background processes are now running. 🙂

For anyone else who has this issue, "Error 500" may not help you and if you're unlucky you will likely end up on some random wordpress website suggesting you increase your PHP memory limit among other things which may not be relevant at all.

You can enable the PHP "display_errors" function and instead of just seeing a rather unhelpful "Error 500" you will see more detailed errors like the one I quoted above, in this case the out of date plugin seems to be the culprit despite being disabled. 

note to self: Don't assume your plugins are not causing problems just because they're disabled!

Thanks for the steer Jim.

Edited by CanalWorld

12 minutes ago, CanalWorld said:

For anyone else who has this issue, "Error 500"

A 500 Internal Server Error basically is like the check engine light of the web world. It says something is wrong but not what or where. Instead of enabling PHP to display errors (which could display these to anyone), you would just need to review your server error log to see what is happening. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, CanalWorld said:

Thanks for the steer Jim.

Glad we could be of assistance.

56 minutes ago, Jim M said:

A 500 Internal Server Error basically is like the check engine light of the web world. It says something is wrong but not what or where. Instead of enabling PHP to display errors (which could display these to anyone), you would just need to review your server error log to see what is happening. 🙂 

Glad we could be of assistance.

I did check error_log, but the log file was empty. It was only when I enabled PHP "display_errors" that I could pinpoint the cause of the issue. We disabled this very soon after the issue got resolved. 

Many thanks

2 minutes ago, CanalWorld said:

I did check error_log, but the log file was empty. It was only when I enabled PHP "display_errors" that I could pinpoint the cause of the issue. We disabled this very soon after the issue got resolved. 

Many thanks

You'd want to check with your hosting provider where these get logged then as it may not be the correct log file depending on your server settings, of course 🙂 .

I am also unable to install the old Member Map application.  When I attempt to do so, I just get a blank screen in the ACP.  I do have the newer application running fine, so I'd definitely like to remove this if I can.  I found this thread as I'm looking to install ElasticSearch (or OpenSearch) on my cloud-based Invision forum, so I'm trying to clean things up a bit before I do that.

@CanalWorld - were you ultimately able to remove the old Member Map app?  If so, how did you go about doing it?

Thank you!

9 hours ago, AtariAge said:

I am also unable to install the old Member Map application.  When I attempt to do so, I just get a blank screen in the ACP.  I do have the newer application running fine, so I'd definitely like to remove this if I can.  I found this thread as I'm looking to install ElasticSearch (or OpenSearch) on my cloud-based Invision forum, so I'm trying to clean things up a bit before I do that.

@CanalWorld - were you ultimately able to remove the old Member Map app?  If so, how did you go about doing it?

Thank you!

I believe the author has been assisting with removal on these, so I would suggest contacting them on this