OpenSearch Service Pricing

I'm considering moving to IPS cloud hosting, but find it hard to justify the cost of ElasticSearch. It starts at $95 per month from Elastic. This is something I have installed on my server for free. 

I believe it's possible to use OpenSearch from AWS as a service, but it's really hard to figure out how much the price would be for using the service. Looking at this page, I can't tell if I need to spend $0.036 per hour or $7.00 per hour or something in between. 

https://aws.amazon.com/opensearch-service/pricing/

Does anyone have any idea how to calculate the true cost?

You CAN'T calculate the true cost as it depends on a bunch of factors that you won't know until after the fact.  However a BALLPARK ESTIMATE...

If you take the smallest instance (t3.small.search), and have it running all month...  the base cost is going to be roughly $52 per month.  (That includes two instances... a data instance and a master instance.)  The minimum disk size is 10GB, so that's another $1.22 a month.  

The above does not take into account bandwidth between your server and AWS which would all be billable traffic.  That would be roughly $0.09 per GB.  It's not possible to estimate how much you would use as it depends on if you use it to show data on every page or just search results...  how many users you have per day/month....  etc.  

You could also just install it on an EC2 instance yourself and manage it.  Then it's the cost of the instance and bandwidth which is obviously going to be lower.

4 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

You CAN'T calculate the true cost as it depends on a bunch of factors that you won't know until after the fact.  However a BALLPARK ESTIMATE...

If you take the smallest instance (t3.small.search), and have it running all month...  the base cost is going to be roughly $52 per month.  (That includes two instances... a data instance and a master instance.)  The minimum disk size is 10GB, so that's another $1.22 a month.  

The above does not take into account bandwidth between your server and AWS which would all be billable traffic.  That would be roughly $0.09 per GB.  It's not possible to estimate how much you would use as it depends on if you use it to show data on every page or just search results...  how many users you have per day/month....  etc.  

You could also just install it on an EC2 instance yourself and manage it.  Then it's the cost of the instance and bandwidth which is obviously going to be lower.

Thanks Randy.