URL for forum and gallery

Carole Asselin
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I am starting with installing the Gallery. I will install the Forum later only. Now, I am a little confused how to set the URL correctly for the Gallery now with the option for the Forum later.

I uploaded everything on my server under the folder name Gallery, but now, found a similar site that has both, and the gallery url is site/forum/gallery/ and the forum is site/forum/

As I am not live yet, I can still make changes. Is there a way to have the gallery as site/gallery, and later have site/forum when I add it? What confuses me is the fact that the whole Invision suite is likely installed only in ONE location, right?

Assuming you install your community at site.com, that will be the location where your default application is accessed. In your case, that will initially be Gallery. Once you install the forums app, that will be at site.com/forums unless you switch that to the default app, in which case Gallery becomes located at site.com/gallery.

Where you've seen sites with both /gallery and /forums addresses, some other app will have been set as the default. If you intentionally installed your community at, say, site.com/forums, your other apps would contain that path too, giving you site.com/forums/gallery, and so on.

• Solution

The folder you place the software in on your server will be a static constant in your URL, meaning if you install at site.com/gallery, it will always be site.com/gallery/(whatever application/page you're accessing and gallery would be duplicated in the URL if it is not the default application). Our software rewrites URLs to be more human friendly (if you enable that) to accomplish what @Meddysong is talking about so that if you install in a folder called gallery and run gallery as your default application but also have forums installed, you would see it at site.com/gallery/forums (or vice versa if you install in a folder called forums).

If you do not have a website at the root of your domain (e.g. site.com), nor do you plan to have one, it would be suggested to install there for URLs that make the most sense.

Example: our community here is installed at the root of our domain (https://invisioncommunity.com/) and we have set our CMS application (Pages) as the default application to generate content for our marketing website so that everything in that application can be set to the root. The software then puts the forums application at https://invisioncommunity.com/forums . If we had Gallery installed here it would then be at https://invisioncommunity.com/gallery .

Now, if you want forums as the default application, this would be it at the root of your domain (site.com) and then gallery would be at site.com/gallery or vice versa.

Hope that makes sense.

OK, I must have changed something, because I seem to have confused things further for myself.

I currently have a folder "forum", on the root where Invision is installed. I likely made a naming mistake because I am not YET installing the forum. Can/Should I just change "forum" to "gallery" on the root? 

The answer to this would be that it depends on what you wish to see. If you rename it to gallery, you would then have gallery/gallery in some places or gallery/forums

If you are looking for only /forum and /gallery you would need to move to root. Is this what you are looking to do?

If you are, you would move all your files and folders out of the forum folder to root, then edit your conf_global.php file to change the URL (removing the /forum/ part of things)

6 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you are looking for only /forum and /gallery you would need to move to root. Is this what you are looking to do?

Yes, that is what I want. I want the /gallery to be the link for now (/forum will be when I add the forum, later this year). Currently, this is what I have:

Could contain: Text, Page

What/where do I move to the root? Isn't that already on the root?

EDIT: Oh, I see that file now, and see where the URL has to match. I replaced the /forum by /gallery in the folder and in that conf_global.php file and it is now showing mysite/gallery correctly. Yay!! Thanks!

Edited by Carole Asselin