Issues IPS 4.6.12.1, no update for 4.7.0, test URL broken

gamecore
Go to solution Solved by gamecore,

Hello!

Could you please have a look at our IPS Installation? The license is attached to my account from which I'm posting right now.

1. We will need the original default IPS Template for both IPS 4.6.12.1 and IPS 4.7.0. We can't do a test install, so this is why we require this.
  2. We need you to delete test URL from Licensed URLs (showed on Client Area). We've tried before (2 months ago, 6 months ago), but no success. License verification system for test installations seems to be broken and it keeps the same cached result all the time even if the test installation doesn't exist anymore. We didn't succeed in modifying the test URL for more than 1 year. Why is that? In the last years the license system was working all the time, but now seems to be broken. And yes, I've followed the instructions provided on the website.
  3. We will need you to have a look in phpMyAdmin and fix the MySQL Database in case of any errors or any bad data. We first had IPB in 2016, then updated to IPS 4, then here we are. But there seem to be some issues in the SQL database. IPS updates are not always fixing things. I can't point to anything specific, but I would be glad if you checked everything in our installation. Just inspect MySQL tables.
  4. Would you please inspect main configuration files from IPS Installation? Just to have a look and make sure there are the correct values.
  5. Would you please have a look and see why 4.7.0 update will not show up? Skipping the fact that there's a timezone inaccuracy, why the update to IPS 4.7.0 will not appear?
  6. Since you changed everything here on this website, would you please tell us where we could talk with Support team live and if you'll ever bring back supports tickets? I didn't find anything clear regarding any official communication for IPS Customers. No notification about this in AdminCP.
  7. After fixing everything and receiving my confirmation, would you be able to delete the topic from your forums? Just after everything will be OK.

We've just updated Stored Access Information from invisioncommunity.com Client Area.
Now you should have access to everything from our IPS installation.
Thank you!

Image 1:

Could contain: Text

Image 2:

Could contain: Text, File, Page, Webpage

OK, lets see what we can sort here for you

1. We will need the original default IPS Template for both IPS 4.6.12.1 and IPS 4.7.0. We can't do a test install, so this is why we require this.

We would not be able to provide a default theme for an old version. For  the version you are on, you would simply click to create a new theme. That would create you a new theme which is default. You can create a test instance however. See the next item.

2. We need you to delete test URL from Licensed URLs (showed on Client Area). We've tried before (2 months ago, 6 months ago), but no success. License verification system for test installations seems to be broken and it keeps the same cached result all the time even if the test installation doesn't exist anymore. We didn't succeed in modifying the test URL for more than 1 year. Why is that? In the last years the license system was working all the time, but now seems to be broken. And yes, I've followed the instructions provided on the website.

This is actually confusion you have here. Deleting an installation does not reset the URL on file. Only we can do that. I have done it for you on this occasion, but generally you should be installing tests in the same location, which would not require reset.

3. We will need you to have a look in phpMyAdmin and fix the MySQL Database in case of any errors or any bad data. We first had IPB in 2016, then updated to IPS 4, then here we are. But there seem to be some issues in the SQL database. IPS updates are not always fixing things. I can't point to anything specific, but I would be glad if you checked everything in our installation. Just inspect MySQL tables.

You would ned to be more specific here on what you are looking to achieve. What is it that makes you feel there is bad data? There isnt anything on your screenshot to indicate you have any issues with data.

4. Would you please inspect main configuration files from IPS Installation? Just to have a look and make sure there are the correct values.

Again, as with the item above. What is it that is leading you to believe you have a problem with these?

5. Would you please have a look and see why 4.7.0 update will not show up? Skipping the fact that there's a timezone inaccuracy, why the update to IPS 4.7.0 will not appear?

This will check periodically. Please go to System->Site Features->Applications and select to check for updates. It may well however be that your server cannot communicate with ours. I would not however skip the time issue. That should be resolved and can indeed cause issues with things such as tasks too. One of which actually checks for updates.

6. Since you changed everything here on this website, would you please tell us where we could talk with Support team live and if you'll ever bring back supports tickets? I didn't find anything clear regarding any official communication for IPS Customers. No notification about this in AdminCP.

You are speaking with support... Hi 🙂 

There was indeed an email went out about this quite some time ago. We are still working your tickets, they are just in a different place. I can access your details as normal, I can escalate as normal, this can be pushed to a ticket if there is a need to do so etc. You're really not losing anything here. We have simply changed our support methods.

7. After fixing everything and receiving my confirmation, would you be able to delete the topic from your forums? Just after everything will be OK.

We would not generally delete topics unless there is a good reason to do so. The reason for this in the first place is so that others can see the answers to some questions, and may actually then gain knowledge on their own issues.

Thank you for your answers! @Marc Stridgen

1. That's perfect. Thank you!
  2. "Reset test url" was working in the past. We used to reset it by our own and there was no need to contact IPS. Why is it changed now? I remember it was a one-time allowance per 6 months for test url reset in the past. But it's ok now. Thank you for helping us here! We wanted a reset for test url for almost 2 years and the option from Client Area was gone already, and before of this it dissapeared and it didn't work anyway.
  3. Well:
    • There was an issue with searching in IPS which seems to be fixed now (after the last time you checked our installation in 2020-2021)
    • Custom templates seem to have bugs which appear from time to time. For example, IPS does not add "</a>" tags even if they are actually added in the template file. To me more clear: {{if}} {{else}} {{endif}} - seems to be buggy in custom templates - but I'm not sure if all are affected or not. We've just discovered the issue from using a template made by IPSFocus. You can check the issue + photos here: https://github.com/aXenDeveloper/ips-secondary-groups-indicator/issues/5 . You could also talk to IPSFocus developer to have a broader understanding about the problem. We talked with the developer of the template and the developer of the IPS plugin and they both recommended us to come to you. So here we are, reporting that {{if}} {{else}} {{endif}} is not working in custom templates (since 2021 at least).
    • There's also an issue with translation files (eg.: r_moderatorstats_manage) starting from 2021. Please see the photo attached to this post.
  4. Read above response
  5. Ok, I will check! Already checked:
    • In the photos attached you'll see the response from the hosting company regarding timezone accuracy.
    • The same thing for License check. Please check the photos below.
  6. Hi 🙂
  7. Ok

Thank you!

Once again... I am looking forward for more replies from IPS Staff.

Missing translations from some const/variables:

Could contain: Page, Text, Menu

Response from hosting company (timezone accuracy):

Could contain: Text, Face

Response from hosting company (License check):

Could contain: Text, Page, Document

Edited by gamecore

13 minutes ago, gamecore said:

"Reset test url" was working in the past. We used to reset it by our own and there was no need to contact IPS. Why is it changed now? I remember it was a one-time allowance per 6 months for test url reset in the past. But it's ok now. Thank you for helping us here! We wanted a reset for test url for almost 2 years and the option from Client Area was gone already, and before of this it dissapeared and it didn't work anyway.

Believe there is some confusion here between the Live and Test URLs. The Live URL, you have been able to reset every 6 months. The test URL on the other hand, has only been able to be reset when the domain on the Live URL is changed and has to be reset by us.

16 minutes ago, gamecore said:

There was an issue with searching in IPS which seems to be fixed now (after the last time you checked our installation in 2020-2021)

If it is fixed, I am unsure what you would want inspected. Could you please clarify?

17 minutes ago, gamecore said:

Custom templates seem to have bugs which appear from time to time. For example, IPS does not add "</a>" tags even if they are actually added in the template file. To me more clear: {{if}} {{else}} {{endif}} - seems to be buggy in custom templates - but I'm not sure if all are affected or not. We've just discovered the issue from using a template made by IPSFocus. You can check the issue + photos here: https://github.com/aXenDeveloper/ips-secondary-groups-indicator/issues/5 . You could also talk to IPSFocus developer to have a broader understanding about the problem. We talked with the developer of the template and the developer of the IPS plugin and they both recommended us to come to you. So here we are, reporting that {{if}} {{else}} {{endif}} is not working in custom templates (since 2021 at least).

Any bugs with third party add-ons or templates would need to be resolved with the appropriate authors. If there is an actual bug involved with the core software, the author would then be able to report that to us but I'm afraid, we would not be able to troubleshoot third party code.

20 minutes ago, gamecore said:

There's also an issue with translation files (eg.: r_moderatorstats_manage) starting from 2021. Please see the photo attached to this post.

It looks like this key may be wrong or not present as I am seeing this as well. I have reported this internally to be resolved. Thank you for reporting!

23 minutes ago, gamecore said:

Response from hosting company (timezone accuracy):

Could contain: Text, Face

This is not an issue with Time Zones but rather the time being reported from PHP from your server is incorrect. Unfortunately, this is coming directly from PHP so would not be an issue with the software, I'm afraid.

23 minutes ago, gamecore said:

Response from hosting company (License check):

Could contain: Text, Page, Document

This would be remoteservices.invisionpower.com . Please note a 500 response code is expected if you simply make a request outside our software (i.e. directly through your browser).

Hello! @Jim M

Thank you for your answers!

Believe there is some confusion here between the Live and Test URLs. The Live URL, you have been able to reset every 6 months. The test URL on the other hand, has only been able to be reset when the domain on the Live URL is changed and has to be reset by us.

I see now! Thank you for the info.

If it is fixed, I am unsure what you would want inspected. Could you please clarify?

Nothing. I should've not included those lines in the reply.

Any bugs with third party add-ons or templates would need to be resolved with the appropriate authors. If there is an actual bug involved with the core software, the author would then be able to report that to us but I'm afraid, we would not be able to troubleshoot third party code.

Only "appropiate authors" will fix this? The author of the template and the author of the IPS plugin - they both - recommended us to come to you and report. What should we do now? Go back to them? You say that you don't troubleshoot third party code - but nobody asked you to do so. Just check and see if there's a pattern there. What I would do: I would simply make a code in a basic plugin and run it while having the default template. If there's no bug, then it will be all right, but if there's a bug, it will be a blessing since we're improving the software for everybody. It takes you 5-7 minutes to test a simple thing.

It looks like this key may be wrong or not present as I am seeing this as well. I have reported this internally to be resolved. Thank you for reporting!

Thank you!

This is not an issue with Time Zones but rather the time being reported from PHP from your server is incorrect. Unfortunately, this is coming directly from PHP so would not be an issue with the software, I'm afraid.

It looks like a PHP issue indeed. I've just observed that there are some fixes in the last PHP releases. We will update and see if the issue will go away. Thank you for this! It was helpful!

This would be remoteservices.invisionpower.com . Please note a 500 response code is expected if you simply make a request outside our software (i.e. directly through your browser).

Please have a look at the following photos:

1. https://i.postimg.cc/ncpkK8gT/response.png
  2. https://i.postimg.cc/5yjrbhJw/host-connect.png

And please tell us if there is (or if there was) incoming traffic from our IPs.

Edited by gamecore

15 hours ago, gamecore said:

Please have a look at the following photos:

1. https://i.postimg.cc/ncpkK8gT/response.png
  2. https://i.postimg.cc/5yjrbhJw/host-connect.png

And please tell us if there is (or if there was) incoming traffic from our IPs.

I'm afraid, that we do not block connections on our end. Could you please have your hosting provider run a traceroute and provide the results? There seems to be some disconnect here