Search engine doesnt work

Go to solution Solved by Stuart Silvester,

Hello,

I am using Invision Community v4.6.12.1. I am bringing back an old forum back to life. First, I've installed IPB 4.1 and made a backup and then did an upgrade to the newest stable version. The problem was, that the search engine could only find the posts that were made recently and not the old ones from the backup. 

I've rebuilded search index in ACP, waited 3 days for the process to finish and now the search engine doesnt work at all. Brings 0 results from either the backup and recent posts. 

Is there any way to fix it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

I just checked some random words and it indeed works with keywords that have more than three letters in it. When I try "wwe" it bring 0 results, even though it had been used thousands of times in various posts on the board.

Unfortunately, my members are going to search for a ton of words that consist of only three letters. Is it possible to fix it? 

Edited by angle4cor

• Solution
4 minutes ago, angle4cor said:

I just checked some random words and it indeed works with keywords that have more than three letters in it. When I try "wwe" it bring 0 results, even though it had been used thousands of times in various posts on the board.

Unfortunately, my members are going to search for a ton of words that consist of only three letters. Is it possible to fix it? 

This is a limitation of MySQL, by default it won't index anything below 4 characters. See- https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_ft_min_token_size

You may want to consider using Elastic/OpenSearch if 3-character words are important to your community.

Just now, All Astronauts said:

It's not that hard to change the configuration. Elastic is still a better option though.

It isn't, but not everyone has access to change that kind of setting on a database server. There are many great ES/OS services that can be used if you don't have the ability to tweak settings like that