Too many categories have broken IP.Download

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I need to have thousands of categories in IP.Download.

My site needs to upload files (related to vehicle engine management unit software) and categorize them by:

• Brand (Main category)
    • Model (Sub-category)
      • Motor (Sub Category)
        • Unit software version (Sub category)
          • File 1
          • File 2
          • File 3
          • File 4
          • File ...

The problem is that after starting to create 90% of the categories, without having started uploading the files yet, the navigation of the site broke.

I ask for help to solve the problem or advice for an alternative solution.

Link to the development version:
https://dev-forum.ecutuningperformance.com/

Thank you all.

• Solution

Unfortunately, the software is not built to have thousands of categories. Categories are not necessarily taxonomy like you're attempting to use here. If you have this many categories, it will create performance problems, like you're experiencing or create other issues, I'm afraid.

24 minutes ago, modman said:

So I'm using the categories in a wrong way.

Can I ask what is the right way to categorize thousands of files with attributes like these?

Thanks

I would suggest looking into using the tag system so that you can tag certain years/models then allow people to search for them this way. Then use categories for makes. Unfortunately, simply having thousands of categories will hit performance problems.

1 minute ago, modman said:

Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong:

File 1

• Tag 1: Brand
  • Tag 2: Model
  • Tag 3: Motor
  • Tag 4: Unit software version

File 2

That would be up to yourself but yes, that would enable people to search for corresponding files with those tags.

15 hours ago, modman said:

Ok, please correct me if I'm wrong:

File 1

File 2

Unfortunately after having carefully evaluated I found that the use of Tags cannot work because I need to update a field (for example the model of a vehicle) and with the Tags it is not possible to update it to hundreds of files automatically.

I should do it manually, which is not possible in my case.

So I ask again for help on an alternative route, thank you.

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, there is not really a better avenue to go down. There will be manual setup in any case here.

pity, then you confirm to me that your product has no chance of achieving this goal?

7 minutes ago, modman said:

pity, then you confirm to me that your product has no chance of achieving this goal?

Unfortunately, you originally attempted to perform something which the software was not designed to perform. The solution provided is manual just like creating categories would be manual.

What happens if I create thousands of categories in the forum and get a structure like this?

• Brand (Parent forum)
    • Model (Child forum)
      • Motor (Child forum)
        • Unit software version (Child forum)
          • File 1 (Topic)
          • File 2 (Topic)
          • File 3 (Topic)
          • File 4 (Topic)
          • File ... (Topic)

Will I be able to rename a specific forum without breaking the system?

Received, I thought that the problem was only of the categories in IP.Downloads, instead it is precisely the product not capable of working with large amounts of data!

I will ask for a refund for the second license purchased earlier, thank you and goodbye.

32 minutes ago, modman said:

Received, I thought that the problem was only of the categories in IP.Downloads, instead it is precisely the product not capable of working with large amounts of data!

I will ask for a refund for the second license purchased earlier, thank you and goodbye.

The software simply was not designed that way as thousands of categories are not really needed in the space the software is developed for, communities. The average number I've seen in my 7+ years working here, I'd say is around maybe 15 - so ~60 times that is indeed beyond it's intended use. I don't want to try and force you to use a round peg in a square hole if our software does not fit, just kind of wanted to explain that a little further and give that info to anyone else who may be reading this.

I do wish you the best of luck finding another software if our solution does not fit your needs but I am sorry, we do not offer refunds on downloaded or installed software per our terms of service.

----

While it is too late for yourself, in this case, our sales team always welcomes these kinds of questions as we do want to inform you of our software's intentions prior to purchasing. If anyone reading this has a very specific purpose for the software, please feel free to reach out to our sales team 🙂 . We also have a risk-free trial where you can demo a Cloud product before purchasing Cloud or self-hosted.