Upgrade gone bad

Bill in CA

I started an upgrade to my site and quickly got an error message

Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes
/home/wfphotos/wfctest.com/system/Db/Db.php::2181

ALTER TABLE `ibf_core_attachments_map` ADD KEY `map_lookup` (`location_key`(250),`id1`,`id2`)

I read up on that error and apparently a table type needs to be changed. I really wish that the upgrade program would check for things like that before changing anything.

In the upgrade program I have two options - retry and continue. Both lead to a repeat of that error, no option to abort.

Trying to access the board gives this:

Site Owner
This message means an upgrade is in progress. If this is not correct, try visiting the upgrade process again (usually /admin/upgrade) and choose either continue or restart. If the upgrade shows nothing to upgrade, visit the AdminCP and run the Support tool. You can also contact Invision Community support for assistance.

In accessing the AdminCP it just gives me the continue option to continue. 

I was able to do a restore of my site so I'm back in business for now, and will look into changing that table tomorrow, but is there any way to see what else may need to be changed before going through all this again?

Thanks, Marc. I have converted everything to InnoDB and the upgrade to my test system seems to have worked. It's building some indexes now so I'll check back on it later, but at least the upgrade went through and the test looks functional.

Just a suggestion - if your upgrade job could scan the database for things likely to kill the job and warn the user before anything is committed it might save a few heads from being pounded on the wall.

8 hours ago, Bill in CA said:

Thanks, Marc. I have converted everything to InnoDB and the upgrade to my test system seems to have worked. It's building some indexes now so I'll check back on it later, but at least the upgrade went through and the test looks functional.

Just a suggestion - if your upgrade job could scan the database for things likely to kill the job and warn the user before anything is committed it might save a few heads from being pounded on the wall.

While this is not shown on the upgrader, its actually shown as an issue in the support area of your admin CP

16 minutes ago, Bill in CA said:

I saw that in another post, Marc, but I didn't spot it on my CP. I was about 6 months behind in updates - was that added relatively recently, or did I just plain miss it?

The InnoDB check has been present for some time in the Support Tool/Dashboard. It has been something we recommended, I believe, since the beginning of version 4.

• 7 months later...