Problem with user IP adresses and error 520

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hello,

I have a problem on my forum with user IP addresses. IPs are completely wrong, e.g. my IP, when I look on my forum, is not correct, the same goes for other users. This issue started a couple of months ago.

Another problem we are currently facing, which may or may not be related to the issue of IP, is the problem with the 520 error that sometimes occurs when we try to access the forum, this problem has started to appear recently.

We are running IPS forum since 2017. and we never faced this type of issues before.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? And is the problem related to IPS at all or maybe the problem is with the server?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

• Solution

That screen would indicate there is an issue with your server somewhere. You would need to check your server error logs on that. I cannot tell you more than that from that screen, as cloudflare provides a catch all error of 520.

With regards IP address, we can only show what your server shows. Its very likely cloudflare is masking the IPs by proxying them. You can bypass this by switching on this setting - "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" , which can be found here

System>Settings>Advanced Configuration

Thank you Marc,

Enabling "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" solved the problem. But i am wondering is it safe to leave this option on? It says:

However, when enabled, a malicious user can abuse the system to provide a fake IP address. In most environments, this setting should be left off.

🙂

1 hour ago, Ohanzee said:

Thank you Marc,

Enabling "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" solved the problem. But i am wondering is it safe to leave this option on? It says:

🙂

Just kind of a warning of what can happen. If you want to use CloudFlare and have the correct IP address for users in our software, I'm afraid, you do not really have a choice.