Site stops to respond or responds very slowly when file is downloading

PatrickRQ

Hi,

Could I get some advise what could be the issue, when I download file from Downloads app in my board the board itself stops responding or responds very slowly. What setting may affect that? I have powerful PC, loads of RAM, powerful CPU, I believe it may be some PHP/Web Server settings but what. I am far away from reaching connections limit.

I checked, nothing in logs. I have IPB3 on the same machine, just different virtual host and all is fine. The site simply slows down when I start any download, like there would be queue of requests. Once download finish it starts working again. The issue affects only person who downloads actually, not site-cross wide.

Edited by PatrickRQ

That can really only be caused on the client side. There isnt anything the software could do to cause issues for an individual person in relation to the speed of the site. You would be best in the first instance to report this to your hosting company, as it sounds like something is limiting bandwidth for individuals

I have disabled all restrictions. It affects even my admin account, when I try to download file.

I believe it is web server setting related, I am just looking for suggestion what. On same host I have other forums on IPB3 and have no issues. I think IPB4 may do something differently I must adjust my Web Server settings/PHP for but can't find the trigger yet.

Edited by PatrickRQ

10 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

I have disabled all restrictions. It affects even my admin account, when I try to download file.

I believe it is web server setting related, I am just looking for suggestion what. On same host I have other forums on IPB3 and have no issues. I think IPB4 may do something differently I must adjust my Web Server settings/PHP for but can't find the trigger yet.

Only your hosting company is really going to be able to answer that question, as they will likely be able to see what limits are being hit there

There are no limits @Marc Stridgen. I am managing everything. I use the host for very heavy things since long time, this is something specific to IPS4 my web-server settings do not like. I just was looking for suggestion from you or other clients who may have experienced something similar.

Edited by PatrickRQ

1 minute ago, PatrickRQ said:

There are no limits @Marc Stridgen. I am managing everything. I use the host for very heavy things since long time, this is something specific to IPS4 my web-server settings do not like. I just was looking for suggestion from you or other clients who may have experienced something similar.

Not really sure what I can suggest to be completely honest there. All I can say is there isnt anything on the software end that would really cause what you are describing

On 3/7/2022 at 7:46 AM, PatrickRQ said:

How actually Downloads work in IPS4? file download creates multiple connections for file parts? If so, how many such is possible?

If you are using Amazon S3, then we simply redirect to a signed URL and allow S3 to do what it needs to do.

In other cases, however, we use HTTP ranges to serve the file in parts until it has finished downloading. We do this because if the download fails, it can then be restarted from the point of failure, rather than downloading the entire file again. Whether or not multiple connections are established to download multiple parts at the same time, would be something the browser / downloading client does, not our software.