How to trace Banned Member using a friend's forum account?

Hoping someone may have some ideas here. We had a big incident some months ago and were forced to ban a member. Recently, he has been allowed to use an friend's old account on the forum. This all came through a "friend of the friend" who was unwilling to divulge the name of the account being used. Checked the IP Address of the banned account, but it is not showing up again. Does anyone know of other ways to trace activity and link it to a certain member?

Very hard these days, even more so with VPN. I could be banned and I’ll just keep making an account and appear all across the globe. 

I would just ban both accounts. Keep an eye on newly created ones and see if the activity is the same. Better yet. Set up a new default group, disable PM, and moderating posting. 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

Very hard these days, even more so with VPN. I could be banned and I’ll just keep making an account and appear all across the globe. 

I would just ban both accounts. Keep an eye on newly created ones and see if the activity is the same. Better yet. Set up a new default group, disable PM, and moderating posting. 👍🏻

Thanks. The problem at this point is that we don't know what account is being used. The original account for the banned member is totally banned with no access or permissions. Unfortunately, the member is now using an account of a friend. He bragged about this via another platform to a member-in-good-standing of our forum. But he absolutely would not tell the name of the account or owner of the account that he was using. I think this sort of leaves us trying to spot odd behaviour.