InnoDB Usage for Marketplace Apps

image.png.17ce534a953dc91a321fc7426c962f38.png

I've gone ahead and changed all of the database tables to InnoDB for all of the IPS tables but the Support tool still complains that my third-party marketplace apps are still using MyISAM.  After reviewing some of these tables I see that the developers use a combination of InnoDB and MyISAM in their apps.

If you choose to change over to InnoDB for the IPS Suite should one also change all of the third-party database tables for consistency?  Will there be any problems created by doing so? 

Just now, Chris Anderson said:

fter reviewing some of these tables I see that the developers use a combination of InnoDB and MyISAM in their apps.

Developers use whatever your default storage engine is on mySQL/MariaDB - in other words, it's not our choice...it's yours. We just create the tables, your server dictates the storage engine.

Example - my local installation of WAMP has been around pre-mySQL 5.5 (which is when the default storage engine became InnoDB, prior to that it was MyISAM) - I have never got around to changing the setting as I've upgraded., and then converted to MariaDB. As such, my default storage engine is still MyISAM, and any new databases will be MyISAM, and any new tables created will be MyISAM too.

How to find out? Run mysql in a command line, execute SHOW ENGINES; and look for DEFAULT in the Support column.

image.png.8bad907eb6c4e68060aa235446b66e7e.png

16 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

If you choose to change over to InnoDB for the IPS Suite should one also change all of the third-party database tables for consistency?

If you want to then crack on.

17 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

Will there be any problems created by doing so? 

Maybe/maybe not - from my own perspective (my apps/plugins) nope, doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Maybe/maybe not - from my own perspective (my apps/plugins) nope, doubt it.

If there is any doubt as to whether or not changing third-party database fields to InnoDB could cause problems then the ACP warning should "only" warn the administrator of the fact that IPS suite database fields could benefit from being changed to InnoDB and NOT for any database fields created by third-party apps.  

4 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

As there isn't any kind of consensus as to whether or not there might be any issue to arbitrarily change third-party database fields then this posting still falls under "Help & Support". 

"If" such consensus should occur then "our" Community Advocate@Jordan Invision  or other IPS employee should be the one to move this topic to the "Feature Suggestions" forum if they think it warranted.