Email settings related to SSL

About a year ago I set up SSL on my site through LetsEncrypt. Since then there have been occasional problems with people getting verification emails. Usually it works fine, but it's become a semi-regular issue at this point.

In the admin cp > Email settings, under Advanced Settings there are the following options. I just want to double check before I change these to make sure this isn't going to cause problems. Here's where they're at now (attached image).

I believe I should set SMTP Host to "ssl://localhost" and SMTP Protocol to "SSL". The options for SMTP Protocol are Standard / Plaintext, SSL and TLS.

Are these the correct choices? 

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 9.00.53 AM.png

The email settings either work or they don’t. If verification emails are only sometimes not coming through, then they are likely treated as spam by the receiving email provider. 

You can look into improving your deliverability by looking into things like SPF/DKIM/DMARC… records and there are lots of “mail server test” tools which help you with this. You send a mail to them and they tell you what looks problematic and could use improvements. 

Edited by opentype