Stop search from rebuilding for development system

mcsg

Is there code I can add/modify to contacts.php to prevent the system from rebuilding a large database's search index?

We are moving the database to a development machine in order to perform some testing on the database and members and the search rebuild kills the local performance.

Thanks.

You could just kill the tasks in the database, they're stored in the core_queue table. Though you'll be left with an incomplete search index by doing this, naturally.

Also, obviously don't do this kind of stuff on a production server, but it's fine to kill this task on a development server. You can initiate the rebuild task again manually if you need it.

Thanks @Makoto. Assuming by "kill" you mean delete the row. And yes, not on production.
In case it has been started automatically, once the record is no longer in `core_queue`, does it just drop off, or do I have to stop the task first?

13 minutes ago, mcsg said:

In case it has been started automatically, once the record is no longer in `core_queue`, does it just drop off, or do I have to stop the task first?

Correct, you can just delete the rows in the queue there. Once they are removed, IPS will just stop trying to process them.

There's no "native" way to stop a queued task, but IPS just uses the database to track and run them, so by removing the entries from the table it will essentially cause the tasks to forcefully abort.

(Just reiterating again for safety, never do this on production, as with certain other tasks this could be destructive, but it's not really going to cause any issues to interrupt the search engine rebuild tasks on your dev server.)

Archived