Front page Blocks

Steph Jensen

2091011654_Screenshot_2019-02-16Blogs-AllVirtualRacing.thumb.png.ad4fff0c14177ea159c3bc8cc3e61b9f.pngI am setting up a site, and up till now, i have used blogs as the front page. It has a nice grid system, where the latest post is shown with a large image, and the next get listed in smaller and smaller boxes.

Now, i want to make a proper front page, where i can add custom boxes, to certain areas of the site, but i also wanted to include a a section with a blog post feed. There is a blok under Blogs that is called a blog post feed, but that only lists the posts with no featured image, and it is not even a grid - just a pretty boring list that is imo a waste of space for the front page.

Is there a way to display feeds (for any content) in a grid style way, og the front page (and other pages)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, opentype said:

Maybe you like this style: https://www.opentype.space/superblocks/
It’s designed with magazine-style front pages in mind. https://invisioncommunity.com/contributors/files/8975-pages-superblocks/

Does SuperBlocks enable showing a block on the only the front page? I need to show a custom block only on the front/home page. When I try this now, the block also shows up when viewing the articles displayed on the front page. 

Would love if this product enabled such a configuration. 

1 hour ago, Chris027 said:

Does SuperBlocks enable showing a block on the only the front page? I need to show a custom block only on the front/home page. When I try this now, the block also shows up when viewing the articles displayed on the front page. 

Would love if this product enabled such a configuration. 

SuperBlocks is “just styling”. The behavior you describe is how Pages works. I can’t really change that. If you need a front page that behaves differently than your “article view” pages, you have to separate them to different pages. So you don’t put your article database on the front page, but only blocks which link to various places including your articles. It may or may not be right for you, but it is an option to consider. 

17 minutes ago, opentype said:

SuperBlocks is “just styling”. The behavior you describe is how Pages works. I can’t really change that. If you need a front page that behaves differently than your “article view” pages, you have to separate them to different pages. So you don’t put your article database on the front page, but only blocks which link to various places including your articles. It may or may not be right for you, but it is an option to consider. 

Thanks @opentype, you're always very helpful.

The issue I'm trying to work with is the strange formatting on my site with SuperGrid for users who pay not to see the advertisements in the blocks on the right side of the page. We've communicated about this years ago, but never found a solution. I though creating a block with 1px would be the solution, but I only want that to show on the front page because that's the only page with the issue. Showing that 1px block on the articles shrinks the width for no value, thus the trade-off isn't worth it. 

Because of the IPS screen reflow issue that IPS support said they wouldn't fix, SuperGrid doesn't work well for users who pay not to see the blocks. A simple window resize by the user fixes the issue, but that manual action isn't going to happen when people don't know about it and don't want to do it.

1562450075_ScreenShot2019-02-25at10_53_53AM.thumb.png.bef8430593046077236fc3441d7aa12a.png

23 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

Because of the IPS screen reflow issue that IPS support said they wouldn't fix, SuperGrid doesn't work well for users who pay not to see the blocks. A simple window resize by the user fixes the issue, but that manual action isn't going to happen when people don't know about it and don't want to do it.

Yeah, sorry about that. It’s an issue in the IPS framework. The dynamic grid sizing happens before the column sizing in this rare case of group-dependent sidebars. Not much I can do about that. 

13 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yeah, sorry about that. It’s an issue in the IPS framework. The dynamic grid sizing happens before the column sizing in this rare case of group-dependent sidebars. Not much I can do about that. 

I wish there was some CSS I could use to only display the block I need on the front page. Then, I'm not sure if the entire sidebar would still be visible though. Frustrating. 

Thanks @opentype

• 4 weeks later...

Archived