I wish downloads was a native part of commerce.

SJ77

2 hours ago, opentype said:

For you. Many websites don’t even have the Downloads app. Or they have it, but don’t sell with it. 

It’s a different elephant for everyone. My number 1 business problem with the suite is that the EU taxation in effect since 2015 isn’t available in Commerce even after 4 years. But I guess you wouldn’t care about this feature at all. 

It gets requested all the time for years by many folks. It feels unrealistic that oops nobody has noticed. It’s deliberate. The part about it not being important to everyone is a non sequitur 

2 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

IPS doesn’t reply to Feedback topics. Never did. 

Mark himself has replied to this thread!

2 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

it’s not necessary to bump this topic every week/month.

Not necessary for you because you have seen it. Each time it’s been bumped new people have seen it , provided opinions and even learned stuff. 

9 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

Mark himself has replied to this thread!

Reply doesn't mean take any action.

9 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

Not necessary for you

Exactly, like said @opentype: everyone has their own elephant.

Take a step back and accept a advice: you won't go anywhere by bumping this. 1 or 100000 posts here won't have any effect to IPS if all of them are yours. You need to get people to do it for you. Go after people who uses Downloads and miss things. Search for 2 or 3 topics of mine here on this forum; I got more and more people to a couple of requests I did and things changed. Example: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/405010-followers-notification-x-real-followed-content-notification/.  Everytime someone asked why this happen or said it wasn't good, I linked to this topic.

Anyway, just a friendly advice... you do what you think it's better to you. 👍

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 12:13 PM, opentype said:

No. It’s a Commerce sale, which just happens to grant access to a download. Commerce doesn’t allow user sales. 

And that´s the problem right there. Members can only sell digital products, from another application. Downloads and Commerce should be one applications with settings to allow certain member groups to be allowed to sell products. Products! No matter if it's digital or physical.

If a site admin wants to be the only seller, simply set admin group to be the only one to be allowed to sell. Then you could set permissions to groups to allow/disallow them selling physical products and so on. You could make it so that members can ask to join/apply for a special sellers account, like any other commerce site.

I never understood the point of having to separate sales applications (other than IPS making money for selling to different applications that essentially does the same thing). It just adds confusion to every one involved. If you are a seller you should be able to sell products, end of discussion.

Anyhow. I'm for a better commerce system since the problem have always been that the downloads system is lacking behind in feature more and more with every update. Either fix it or abandon it and merge the features with the commerce application.

I agree with @SJ77

I guess for now we have a 3rd party option for those willing to pay...

6 hours ago, OldAssGeek said:

I never understood the point of having to separate sales applications (other than IPS making money for selling to different applications that essentially does the same thing). 

They DOESN’T do the same thing. Downloads is essentially a downloads manager. Anyway, easy enough to explain: Downloads exists WAY before Commerce (former Nexus). Nexus was released, among several other features, to help to monetize communities and they then tied Commerce to Downloads, which makes sense, to sell digital files and then they started the marketplace as it is today.

That’s pretty simple.

But that doesn’t mean that a new app or a new Commerce module (that will be their decision) to allow members to sell their stuff is desperately needed since forever. They are aware of this already. 

Archived