Don't process user registrations which contain 'bad words'

NeedCoffee

Rather than making forum owners duplicate all the words in both the bad word filter and unregisterable names filter, give a toggle option to apply all words in the bad words filter to a user's choice of username. You could extend this to custom user fields too - after all, if there's a word in your bad word filter, you're not likely wanting to see this appear inside a profile either! 

Original post 

Edited by NeedCoffee

While working on the plugin I mentioned in the other topic (which I hope to release today) I've found a bug with the existing functionality. I'll submit those through the client area when I've renewed my license but just putting them out here for reference now.

Reproduction steps for these bugs are:

1. Go to https://invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/register/
  2. Fill out the form, putting a known non-registrable word or an existing user's name in the Display Name
    • this will show the warning about the name not being valid (screenshot 1)
  3. Submit the form
  4. On the resulting validated form, the Display Name is indicated as not being allowed or is being used by another member (screenshot 2)

Bug (screenshot 3)

Either:

1. Add a space to the Display Name, and then delete it, then tab to the next field.

or:

1. Change the name completely to another known non-registrable name or another user's name

Screenshot 1

image.png.9d11f41f5589e7ca3c0913eb3284659f.png

Screenshot 2

image.png.63a2e95a54804035a34f0e7968517501.png

Screenshot 3

image.png.28fc9a1e1679c4e1ab347f0ae90282eb.png

Just a quick thank you to @Nathan Explosion for creating a plugin that will handle this in the meantime: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9179-ne-display-name-validator/

Hopefully the team from IPS will read this and the bug report you filed. Ultimately it would be much better if the bad word filter stopped the user from being able to register, rather than allowing it and turning their username to "********".  Also perhaps clear up the confusion between the bad word filter and the unregisterable names settings - my feeling is that if a name exists in bad words, them IPB should act the same as unregisterable feature, rather than processing the registration. 

Do we need to tag someone at IPS for them to see this? Or is it generally assumed they read all these feedback threads? Cheers 

Edited by NeedCoffee

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2018 at 4:57 AM, NeedCoffee said:

Just a quick thank you to @Nathan Explosion for creating a plugin that will handle this in the meantime: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9179-ne-display-name-validator/

Hopefully the team from IPS will read this and the bug report you filed. Ultimately it would be much better if the bad word filter stopped the user from being able to register, rather than allowing it and turning their username to "********".  Also perhaps clear up the confusion between the bad word filter and the unregisterable names settings - my feeling is that if a name exists in bad words, them IPB should act the same as unregisterable feature, rather than processing the registration. 

Do we need to tag someone at IPS for them to see this? Or is it generally assumed they read all these feedback threads? Cheers 

Looks like the plugin is outdated. 

I have users registering with bad names and am having to have them change their usernames. Any fix? 🙏 

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have a way of stopping members from registering usernames with bad words? 

Google flags websites where profanity exists, including usernames. So I have censors in place, but if a username has a bad word in it, Google flags it, which adversely impacts ad revenue on those pages.

Can't seem to find a solution. 

3 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Does anyone have a way of stopping members from registering usernames with bad words? 

Google flags websites where profanity exists, including usernames. So I have censors in place, but if a username has a bad word in it, Google flags it, which adversely impacts ad revenue on those pages.

Can't seem to find a solution. 

We do this through the "unregisterable" list, which is duplicated in the bad words filter.

1 hour ago, breatheheavy said:

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean please? 

Sure! Go to Members > Member Settings > Ban Settings > Add Ban Filter

Choose Non-Registrable Name as the type.

Enter in the Content, using * as a wild card.

If you think the word "apple" is a bad word, and you don't want people to be able to use the word "apple" anywhere in their display name, you can enter in *apple* in the content field, and then provide an optional reason that will display: "You dirty person, using apple in your name. Shame on you and your family."

Rinse and repeat as desired 🙂

Without the wildcards, it will only prevent the actual name entered.

5 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Sure! Go to Members > Member Settings > Ban Settings > Add Ban Filter

Choose Non-Registrable Name as the type.

Enter in the Content, using * as a wild card.

If you think the word "apple" is a bad word, and you don't want people to be able to use the word "apple" anywhere in their display name, you can enter in *apple* in the content field, and then provide an optional reason that will display: "You dirty person, using apple in your name. Shame on you and your family."

Rinse and repeat as desired 🙂

Without the wildcards, it will only prevent the actual name entered.

Omg. 🤯 

WOW!!! Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad there isn't a way to import the list of banned words. 😅

Thanks again!

13 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Omg. 🤯 

WOW!!! Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad there isn't a way to import the list of banned words. 😅

Thanks again!

No problem!

Yes, that's what I meant by duplicated in bad words filter. If apple is a bad word in posts and display names, you need to enter it as both types.

But, we have use cases, where things like "admin" are okay to say in a post, yet would be a bad name to register.

Just now, Paul E. said:

No problem!

Yes, that's what I meant by duplicated in bad words filter. If apple is a bad word in posts and display names, you need to enter it as both types.

But, we have use cases, where things like "admin" are okay to say in a post, yet would be a bad name to register.

Very interesting. Yea that makes a lot of sense. Too bad there isn't a way to apply this to usernames that have registered with profanity in the past, or alert current members somehow that they must change their username to comply.