Threads with embedded tweets skip around while loading

rllmukforum

I may have posted about this before, but I cannot find the thread. 

Since at least April 2017, my users have reported that threads containing embedded tweets skip around while you're reading them. It only manifests when you attempt to read a thread you've already read before. Initially, the forum loads the page positioned at the last unread marker, but then as embedded tweets before and after this load their content, the page skips around until it's positioned somewhere else entirely once done. Per my users:

Affected: Firefox mobile, Safari

Not affected: Chrome, Edge mobile

I had wondered if Chrome was unaffected due to the use of overflow-anchor, but I don't see this in the theme's CSS.

Is this an issue for anyone else? I'd be happy to blame our skins, which are lightly customized and are based on 4.2 defaults (we're up to date on the forum software), but looking at Invision releases, and when our users reported it, it seems to date back to at least 4.1.19.  

edit - I should add, this occurs irrespective of the use of any browser extensions.

Do you experience this in threads posted with the latest release, or just older threads? The reason I ask, is because we reworked how embeds work to an extent in a previous version (sometime in the 4.2 series as I recall) which might affect this behavior, however content posted before that release would not have been adjusted.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:04 AM, bfarber said:

Do you experience this in threads posted with the latest release, or just older threads? The reason I ask, is because we reworked how embeds work to an extent in a previous version (sometime in the 4.2 series as I recall) which might affect this behavior, however content posted before that release would not have been adjusted.

It affects new content, I hadn't thought to pull up an old thread and look for tweets. We've only made minor modifications to the skin (e.g., making the thread title act as "go to unread"), but it's possible we've garbled something if you've made changes recently. I'll have folks try a vanilla 4.3 skin and see if that helps.

Cheers for the reply.

Archived