Subscription Plans

Pyrotechnic

I currently have 2 subscription plans on my forum which are a "Yearly Subscription" and a "Lifetime Subscription" with 550 subscribers and 46 respectively. They have both been created using the Store and each one set up as a purchasable product. They were created before the specific subscription plans were built into IPS. 

My question is, the option to covert these into subscription plans exists within the forum itself and I wanted to know if its worth it and what I will lose and gain by doing so. 

Alternatively is it worth setting up the Subscription Plans along side the product type of subscription so all new subscribers can use the new system.

Any advice, much appreciated. 

I would say firstly, pick one version and stick with it. You will probably run into trouble down the road if you have a mixture of subscriptions.

If you never offer coupons/discounts or different renewal options then the new subscription manager should work fine for what you need.

I don't know if IPS plan to improve the features of the subscription manager, but currently the danger if you switch will be that you are stuck with it, so make sure it's not lacking a feature you really require.

I don't have an exhaustive list of what it's missing as I myself don't currently use it. Maybe someone else has put one together.

Subscriptions = think of them as the lite version of Products.  Doesn't have coupons, tax classes, all of those options but enough to cover the basics.  

If all you're going to be offering are subscriptions, then I think it's worthwhile to convert to Subscriptions over Products.  It's easier on the user to check out and renew.  Products requires more clicks, since you have a cart before you checkout.  In Subscriptions, you don't have the cart (since you can't be adding more than one subscription).  

Before you convert, create a test subscription to see if it has enough options on the back end and if you like the front-end. 

Thanks for the reply Tom. The subscriptions are simply to allow access to "Subscription Only" sections of the forums and give special privileges, but other than that, nothing special.

Thanks Joel. I think the Subscriptions is far simpler for my members. Its the "easier on the user" element I am after to be honest. A simple subscribe with renew and cancel is all I am after. 

I presume conversion to "Plans" is straight forward ?

Just now, Pyrotechnic said:

Thanks for the reply Tom. The subscriptions are simply to allow access to "Subscription Only" sections of the forums and give special privileges, but other than that, nothing special.

Then the new subscriptions feature is perfect for you.  

It's exactly what I have.  It moves the user to a new membergroup with additional permissions.  Nothing fancy.  

Just create a sample subscription first to test before you do anything big.  The front end is a lot easier to navigate, and the options are streamlined on the back-end.  

Archived