Jump to content

Problems with "Rewrite URLs"


Recommended Posts


Configuration: IPB 4.3.5, Windows Server 2008 R2 + IIS 7.5, PHP 7.2.7, MySQL 5.6.14.

After upgrade from 3.4.9 to 4.3.5 removing "index.php" creates a problem. If I enable IPB4 option Rewrite URLs, links containing Unicode characters return the following error:



The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.


Links without the characters work. If I disable the IPB4 option Rewrite URLs, all links work as expected.

Does not work:





web.config (IIS)

<rule name="pretty urls" enabled="true" stopProcessing="true">
                    <match url="." ignoreCase="false" />
                    <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll" trackAllCaptures="false">
                        <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true" />
                        <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true" />
                    <action type="Rewrite" url="/index.php" appendQueryString="true" />


I tried many things, swapping IIS settings and flags, etc. I also tried to switch from IIS Rewrite module to ISAPI Rewrite and no luck.

# Helicon ISAPI_Rewrite configuration file
# Version

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [NE,L]

[Yes, originally there was only "L" like in .htaccess provided by IPB, but I was testing also other flags]

The same settings worked just fine in IPB 3.x. Does anybody encounter a similar problem after upgrading to IPB4 or have any suggestions?

I created a ticket, but no help. First, I was told that "UTF-8 conversion did not process properly" and I need to revert to 3.x, so they can fix database and do the upgrade for me. I was prepared for such a request, and instead of rolling the whole software without any guarantees, I provided a fully working mirror with a database taken just before the upgrade. Then I was told that they can't proceed, because I'm running Windows Server, the further diagnostics could be if I move to a Linux host...


EDIT: Typos fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...