Twitter Login

Joel R

IPS deserves to be blasted for how they go about their communication (or total lack thereof) on major changes when it's related to third-party community enhancements, logins, etc.  You really need to send out a special "IPS Alert" on these breaking changes.  

I just discovered that my Twitter login was broken ever since upgrading to 4.3.  Did I ever receive an IPS notice about it?  Hell no.  

You also updated your Twitter login instructions for 4.3 and above.  Did I ever receive an IPS notice about it?  Hell no.  

At the end of the day, Invision Community is my gateway to all integrated services and I hold you to that standard.  If there's a change that comes from Facebook, Twitter, oAuth, IP.Connect, Sparkpost or anything else that is officially supported or integrated with my Invision Community, I would expect a communication from IPS on how those changes impact my community.

IPS always talks about how their clients tend to rely on IPS as a white-glove service that takes care of everything for them.  This is one of those times where I raise my hand and say, I need your help to interpret those dev changes.  I don't have a bloody clue what Twitter is talking about when they send out their API dev changes.  But I can read your instructions and update my login settings if you inform me about them.   

============

Speaking of bloody ridiculous Twitter stuff, did you read your own help guide on Twitter??  Let me make fun of you some more.  

Step 2:   "For the Callback URL fields, enter the URL to your community."

Step 3:  "In the Callback URL field, enter your community's URL ending with "/oauth/callback/" on the end."

So basically ... you want me to enter one URL ... and then enter a different URL ...

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/social-sign-in/43-and-above/twitter-r303/

Thanks for letting us know about the mistake in the documentation - I've fixed that (though it would have worked, it did look silly).

It wasn't necessary to do anything on upgrading to 4.3, so even though the documentation was updated because the UI changed, you wouldn't have needed to worry about it... the problem was Twitter changed their requirements and didn't tell anyone... it caught us a bit by surprise too.

We agree we need to have better methods of letting you know about this sort of thing and have plans to address this in 4.4.

I hope the plans to address this in 4.4 is that you are announcing a leveraged buyout of all of the social media companies then we can have just one company to work with. ?  As that is sadly not likely to happen, I'm looking forward to the better methods of letting us know about this sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Joey_M said:

Has anyone had to reapply for a developer account? I can see any apps in any of my accounts now.

No, my Twitter dev was still there when connecting to my IPS installation.  Just make a new one if you need it.  

On 7/4/2018 at 6:04 PM, Mark said:

We agree we need to have better methods of letting you know about this sort of thing and have plans to address this in 4.4.

Since there is already call home code in the script, it should be easy enough to enter some code that would trigger an ACP alert to view "updated service" pages when this happens.  We already get pestered about the mySQL version and the processes we have running - I'd think getting pestered about something like this would be MUCH more important.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, Joey_M said:

Has anyone had to reapply for a developer account? I can see any apps in any of my accounts now.

They have a new link that you have to use.

https://developer.twitter.com/en/dashboard
If you are going to https://apps.twitter.com/ it isn't going to be around long as they are going to retire it and all existing will be under that first link - which your current ones should be once you set up a new developers account.

You should be able to get to the existing ones on the second link for now.

Archived