Opt In vs Opt Out settings

Numbered

Dear developers! When localizing the strings from the new platform version, we faced a possible problem. It seems to us that the stings "Opt Out" (src\*.xml.core.lang.xml.language.core.updates_consent_enabled.0) and "Opt In" (src\*.xml.core.lang.xml.language.core.updates_consent_disabled.0) need to be used one instead of the other ('Opt out' instead of 'Opt in' and 'Opt in' instead of 'Opt out') because their current descriptions do not correspond to them . Please let us know if we are right.

c722e35bb9f2f91c2d249a7588bee1c4.thumb.png.1c481f0d6bf931ffcdffffa75512e474.png
 d4cd9d9dfad6141ceae7a2dc36a969d1.thumb.png.219676a450ba0539488120b0c2bdac3f.png

I think you're correct, Marsel.

The description for opt out ( = checkbox shouldn't be checked) describes opt in. If someone is opting out, then the checkbox shouldn't be ticked.

I believe under GDPR that it shouldn't be ticked anyway (users have to be assumed to opt out and consciously opt in), so there really shouldn't be these options. But yes, they do seem to have the wrong labels.

7 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

I think you're correct, Marsel.

The description for opt out ( = checkbox shouldn't be checked) describes opt in. If someone is opting out, then the checkbox shouldn't be ticked.

I believe under GDPR that it shouldn't be ticked anyway (users have to be assumed to opt out and consciously opt in), so there really shouldn't be these options. But yes, they do seem to have the wrong labels.

Thanks, Meddysong. But this question from our l10n department (I can's speak with this good level of english :laugh:). I'm sure this should be fixed. But I need answer from IPS which way they would choose to fix - change language strings or change language keys :laugh:. And this answer i'll forward to our l10n team for their right descition for right way for proof-reading english and start updating other languages.

2 hours ago, sudo said:

If you add the word "Mode" to the end it makes sense though, basically which mode do you want, people have to opt in mode or people have to opt out mode.

^^^ This...

If you use the Opt Out method, your users have to specifically OPT OUT of receiving messages, uncheck the box.

If you use the Opt In method, your users have to specifically OPT IN to receiving messages, check the box.

The setting describes a member action.

Archived