problems during converting

Dragoris

Hey guys,

I tried to convert from vbulletin 4.x / 3.x into IPB 3.4, but I am getting this character issues what is the reason for that? ipb is not accepting some turkish characters like the letter "i" without a dot on it.  ı 

I also installed a turkish language pack, but still the same. 

On 24/09/2017 at 6:01 PM, Dragoris said:

Hey guys,

I tried to convert from vbulletin 4.x / 3.x into IPB 3.4, but I am getting this character issues what is the reason for that? ipb is not accepting some turkish characters like the letter "i" without a dot on it.  ı 

I also installed a turkish language pack, but still the same. 

You may find 3.4 is now end of life as latest is 4.2.x but do check you made the Language default or selected from the drop down menu 

26 minutes ago, Pete T said:

You may find 3.4 is now end of life as latest is 4.2.x but do check you made the Language default or selected from the drop down menu 

OP requested it be moved here from Server Management, although I'm not 100% sure they can still see it, but they did request here... :)

Aside from it being 3.4 the issue is language as you've mentioned, moreso a character set concern possibly. UTF8 conversion might assist with correcting it, although it could (possibly) be due to the server locale too.

9 minutes ago, Dragoris said:

Is there a converter for IPS 4? Can I convert all topics, posts from my user? I googled it and did not find anything regarding an ips4 converter. 

Yes, you can download the converter from the Client Area (When you download the latest version of Invision Community you will be asked if you want to include the converter software).

Your issue however is a character set issue, if you're still seeing this after testing a conversion with 4.x, please submit a ticket and we'll be able to assist with it.

7 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Yes, you can download the converter from the Client Area (When you download the latest version of Invision Community you will be asked if you want to include the converter software).

Your issue however is a character set issue, if you're still seeing this after testing a conversion with 4.x, please submit a ticket and we'll be able to assist with it.

I can just convert Members and member information, where are my topics and posts? 

3 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

You need to start a 'conversion' for each content type, start another one and then select 'Forum and Topic Data'

Ah thanks I see it now. Now back to the real problem, I checked the original DB of vbulletin and indeed the letters are also shown the same way in the DB. But they are being corrected from vbulletin with a turkish language pack, so what can I do in this case to show all topics, posts & members with the correct letters?

One idea would be to replace them in DB with some SQL commands and then convert the vbulletin into IPS 4. I think it would work. 
Can anyone help me with the SQL commands? ^_^

2 hours ago, Dragoris said:

Ah thanks I see it now. Now back to the real problem, I checked the original DB of vbulletin and indeed the letters are also shown the same way in the DB. But they are being corrected from vbulletin with a turkish language pack, so what can I do in this case to show all topics, posts & members with the correct letters?

One idea would be to replace them in DB with some SQL commands and then convert the vbulletin into IPS 4. I think it would work. 
Can anyone help me with the SQL commands? ^_^

Your vBulletin database will need converting to UTF8 for the conversion, please submit a ticket and we can assist with this.

2 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Your vBulletin database will need converting to UTF8 for the conversion, please submit a ticket and we can assist with this.

I replaced all the letters by my own now, last time you wanted to charge me 100$ for that. Don't get me wrong but it is a lot of money in Turkey.

Now I am facing some new issues during the conversion:

1 hour ago, Dragoris said:

I replaced all the letters by my own now, last time you wanted to charge me 100$ for that. Don't get me wrong but it is a lot of money in Turkey.

Looking at your ticket history, the issue was that the source database already contained corrupt characters, there was no way that a UTF8 conversion could fix it and it required manual intervention.

It isn't always the best resolution for the issue though, in that situation because the data was already corrupted there wasn't any other solution. We can certainly assist in running our UTF8 converter on your vBulletin data if you want to go that route.

1 hour ago, Dragoris said:

Now I am facing some new issues during the conversion:

This is typically a server issue, please submit a ticket if you need assistance.

Archived