Embed MP4 video

Slin

Good luck with that... I have asked about this ad-nauseum and I still am unable to upload an mp4 or avi video and allow the user to play it on their desktop or mobile device. You can upload a video but it will be displayed as a link, instead of an embedded, playable video.

Consider uploading to a video service like Vimeo or YouTube and then you can easily embed them by just pasting the URL. It’s easy and free and all your members will actually see the video. 

If you try to host the videos yourself, you will always run into problems, such as videos not playing for users because of missing OS support for the codecs the videos use. 

46 minutes ago, opentype said:

Consider uploading to a video service like Vimeo or YouTube and then you can easily embed them by just pasting the URL. It’s easy and free and all your members will actually see the video. 

If you try to host the videos yourself, you will always run into problems, such as videos not playing for users because of missing OS support for the codecs the videos use. 

So let's say in a situation where ONLY the admins of the site have access to upload a video to the server, as long as that video has a codec compatible with most browsers and OSes such as H.264 and/or MPEG4, then it would be feasible? In my website, only admins can upload attachments, so it's a very controlled environment. Not one where you have any member uploading stuff. In our situation, if we can assure that the correct codec is being used by the video before being uploaded, then it would work?

You could upload to gallery, get video url of that, then have a custom button in editor (use option not content) to form the iframe with src="{option}".

A few steps to upload and get url then add it.  The problem with attachments is one getting the url of it and then two it will still insert the attachment in the post if you don't use it as a link.

Archived