Suggestion: Prevent fully quoting 1st post in the 1st reply

The Old Man

This is a personal bugbear of mine, users who for some reason persist in quoting (in full) a large post which is the first post in a topic, when they are adding the first reply. :mad:

It seems totally unnecessary to me, creating more scrolling/swiping to get past the quoted content, especially on mobile devices.
I'd love to see an option that prevents users from being able to quote the first topic in full when adding the first or second reply of a topic.

I know someone will quote this post now! I guess I asked for it! :lol:

3 hours ago, The Old Man said:

This is a personal bugbear of mine, users who for some reason persist in quoting (in full) a large post which is the first post in a topic, when they are adding the first reply. :mad:

It seems totally unnecessary to me, creating more scrolling/swiping to get past the quoted content, especially on mobile devices.
I'd love to see an option that prevents users from being able to quote the first topic in full when adding the first or second reply of a topic.

If you don't want to wait:

13 hours ago, The Old Man said:

For mobile it's a little more problematic... but for desktop, it's a user training/education issue.

You can currently quote segments of the post very simply... and if the users are educated in that process they may/should begin using it.

13 hours ago, The Old Man said:

It's a simple matter of highlighting the relevant segment, then choosing "Quote This".  ;)

58f171ac960e4_ScreenShot2017-04-14at8_03_43PM.png.2762ca9d874c85e54afa2e90bda3269e.png

When the system used BBCode it was much easier.  I would frequently quote the entire post (if there were segments I wanted to reply to) and then modify the BBCode quote selector to highlight each segment and then respond.  I've had to learn to do it using the highlight the segment and then quote it in the reply now (a relearning issue).

Thanks Simon! Off to take a look.

Tracy is right, it is a training/management issue, but one that's also pretty much unenforceable from a practical point of view. Sledge hammer and walnut spring to mind.

Third party mods aside, when I think about it, the Quote button makes little sense being there by default in today's forums (when adding the first reply to a topic), it's probably a throwback to the old days.

These days there should probably just be a Reply button displayed after the first topic post, since the selective 'Quote This' text facility is more relevant and sufficient if you do need to quote aspects of the OP. There's hardly any justification for quoting the first post in full, within the first reply. Aside from bad for mobile device usability and expenditure of mobile data allowance, it just bloats the database.

Archived