"unread content" able to exclude a forum ? v4.1.18.2

MolteniMike

I had the desirable feature (v3.4.7) of not allowing a particular sub forum to be shown in the old "View new posts" .

We have just upgraded to v4.1.18.2

Can anyone please advise on how to block from view a particular sub forum in the new version's "Unread Content" feature.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Sorry, what I meant was is there a function in ACP to enforce the exclusion of one particular sub forum in "unread content" to all viewers.

There's one particular sub forum which I don't want to appear each time ANY user goes to "unread content"

Thanks

1 hour ago, MolteniMike said:

Sorry, what I meant was is there a function in ACP to enforce the exclusion of one particular sub forum in "unread content" to all viewers.

There's one particular sub forum which I don't want to appear each time ANY user goes to "unread content"

Thanks

It's a must for me. Apparently the functionality was present in some earlier versions of IPS 4 but removed later. Crossing fingers it's re-introduced soon.

1 hour ago, MolteniMike said:

Do they have access to the sub-forum when browsing the boards? Activity Stream is nothing special apart from being a set of queries based on user permissions.

25 minutes ago, GlenP said:

Do they have access to the sub-forum when browsing the boards? Activity Stream is nothing special apart from being a set of queries based on user permissions.

Yes, it's accessible from the home page.

I wish to avoid it's appearance in the "unread content" that most users navigate by.

Unfortunately there is no longer an option to show Unread Content to groups A, B and C but not D while keeping it visible when browsing. For 4.x IPS decided that going all Facebooky and making everything open by default while removing any granular privacy settings like this was an improvement.

You'll need to either remove that sub-forum from the stream so that nobody can see it or set permissions so that if you don't want everyone seeing it in the stream they cannot see it while browsing either. One possible first step in getting some semblance of privacy back is to to into AdminCP - System - Site Features and edit the Menu Manager to remove Guest access to some or all of the streams.

12 minutes ago, GlenP said:

Unfortunately there is no longer an option to show Unread Content to groups A, B and C but not D while keeping it visible when browsing.

I want the "unread content" feature to appear to all groups, but  "unread content" to exclude a specified sub-forum.  The specified sub-forum should remain accessible via the forum's home page.

Hope this clarifies.

3 minutes ago, MolteniMike said:

I want the "unread content" feature to appear to all groups, but  "unread content" to exclude a specified sub-forum.  The specified sub-forum should remain accessible via the forum's home page.

Hope this clarifies.

modifying the default activity stream would mostly achieve this. You couldnt stop a user from creating their own stream that includes the excluded content, but if they can access it anyway, that's logically consistent. 

5 minutes ago, Morgin said:

modifying the default activity stream would mostly achieve this. You couldnt stop a user from creating their own stream that includes the excluded content, but if they can access it anyway, that's logically consistent. 

This sounds great news.  Can you please give me step-by step instructions of what to do in ACP to achieve this? 

Thanks

Mike

You can't do it in ACP. It needs to be done on the forum itself.

Log in with your admin account and click on Unread Content on your site. You will see a menu bar across the top of the screen and click on Content Types as shown in my first post. Click on the down arrow next to topics and select all the forums you want shown in the stream.

34 minutes ago, GlenP said:

You can't do it in ACP. It needs to be done on the forum itself.

Log in with your admin account and click on Unread Content on your site. You will see a menu bar across the top of the screen and click on Content Types as shown in my first post. Click on the down arrow next to topics and select all the forums you want shown in the stream.

I tried this.  But it doesn't seem to save the selections.  The next press of Unread... is back to all content.  Is this a bug?

Also, wouldn't this be a per-user setting?  We need to modify the site default.

Steve

Sorry, its been a while since I went through the same thing you are now.

Once you make the changes to the stream and click out of the dropdown boxes, you should see on the right  an option to save the changes. Select Save as a new stream and give it a name e.g. View New Content. In ACP you then make that the system default and if you wish you can then hide Unread Content in the Menu Manager.

I've now done this by logging into my own Admin account and I can no longer see the specified sub-forum in my "unread content"

But logging into another users account, he can see all content as before.

I need to exclude a specified sub-forum from the default "unread content" of ALL users.

I think what you want is sadly just not possible. I haven't upgraded my live site and this is one of several reasons holding me back. I get an average of 80 new members daily. I make them post in a subforum just saying Hi and that post promotes them to another user group (this a known way used by quite a few sites to filter spam bots). At present with 3.4, that subforum is of course excluded from the New Content menu, otherwise existing members would be pretty angry with those posts being in the timeline.

I think I remember reading that IPB was looking into re-introducing that feature, so here's hoping. :)

Archived