Commerce, Paypal, Monthly Donations

Songstuff

Hi

I am looking into setting up a non-profit. Although products are likely, donations are definite... my question is about hooking up the commerce module to paypal donations. Their donations button allows for creating monthly donations, but I plan to reward those giving monthly donations and I hop to do it via the invision commerce module. Is this at all possible?

If i create a member group, can I create a monthly donation subscription via commerce that will assign members to that group? I know I can do this with subscriptions that are not donations.

If this is not possible... are there any other possibilities I should look at? Monitoring monthly paypal donations from the button may not be possible and would certainly be a pain in the ass!

Cheers

John

The difference is what Paypal charges per transaction. If necessary I will do as you suggest, that had been my original plan... from the top of my head Paypal charges starts at 3.4% + $0.30 per transaction for normal purchases, but only 1.4% +$0.30 per transaction for donations. So $20 lost from every $1000.

It's not massive, but if it was already built in as a feature... just saying lol

On 1/30/2017 at 1:12 PM, Songstuff said:

The difference is what Paypal charges per transaction. If necessary I will do as you suggest, that had been my original plan... from the top of my head Paypal charges starts at 3.4% + $0.30 per transaction for normal purchases, but only 1.4% +$0.30 per transaction for donations. So $20 lost from every $1000.

It's not massive, but if it was already built in as a feature... just saying lol

thats something you would need to discuss with paypal. about fees and the non-profit.

15 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

thats something you would need to discuss with paypal. about fees and the non-profit.

I thought the difference is in the APi processing a donation rather than a purchase. It might not be possible. I just thought surely my community was not the only one hoping to process donations like this... surely another customer, or even invision themselves, must have faced this before..

You wuold think... lol

2 hours ago, opentype said:

Donations aren’t meant to be recurring. 

Actually, when making a donation via a Paypal donation button, it gives you the option of making it a recurring donation. My issue is how to hook it up to ipb on any level so that such donations can change member group, and that invision manages any downgrading should donations stop.

2 hours ago, opentype said:

I will apply for the Confirmed Charities account type.

I intend moving my account to this type too... although that too may impact the api

Archived