Does "Hide Own Content" allow threads to be hidden?

GlenP

If a member is allowed to "Hide own content" should that also allow them to hide a whole thread they started when others have posted replies?

I've just experienced that and I think it is very worrying that members could hide/delete others posts when they aren't Mod/Admin accounts.

Yep, it works like that and it also makes sense. What else should happen? If one hides the initial posts, showing only answers to a non-existing question would be pointless. So everything is hidden. 

I wish however that the option to hide would allow the choice to exclude hiding first posts. I currently only allow premium members to hide content because of that limitation. People would “misuse” the function otherwise all the time and hide entire discussions, even though I don’t want that. 

49 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yep, it works like that and it also makes sense. What else should happen? If one hide the initial posts, showing only answers to a non-existing question would be pointless. 

It used to be in 3.x that members couldn't hide posts once there had been a reply. Yet another change backwards in 4.1x

I gave up in the end. I have removed the ability for members to hide their own contant and started looking for an alternative forum/blog system that actually deals with forums rather than obsessing over rubbish like leaderboards and reputation.

Archived