Managing attached images is sorely lacking

KentT

1.  I'm beginning to use Pages extensively, and the images attached and used in Pages records are intermixed with the images attached to forum posts/replies.  At the very minimum, those images should be segregated under a "separate tab" like those for Gallery images.or File downloads.  Suggest that images attached to each app be segregated on a "tab" like the Gallery or Downloads, perhaps with an "All" view that would consolidate them for users that don't have that many attached images.

I'm already at 45 page displays of images, which makes finding and reusing an image a quite tedious task. Even better would be the option to organize all  these images into user-defined categories or folders.

Because of these poor image management functions, I am choosing to use the file system and embed the approximate 7500 images used in my converted content rather than add them to this hard-to-manage mess.  I can manage the images and locations on the server via FTP easier than I can manage them in this GUI....

2.  If you want Pages to be truly used as a CMS, you need focus some attention on it, especially media handling.  The whole ACP Media function in pages is a mystery -- since images uploaded there cannot be browsed and inserted in Pages, nor specified within the editor GUI as a Record Image, Nor does an image that I have uploaded through the GUI either as part of the content nor as a Record Image show up in that Media folder...

attached_images.jpg

Just to clarify: Post attachments aren’t tied to an app like gallery images are. The attachments are “core uploads” just connected to a user, which can be used globally. So a Pages tab wouldn’t really make sense from this technical point of view, since the image isn’t uploaded “to Pages” and one could even deactivate or delete the Pages app. The images would still appear as Post Attachment, ready to be posted in the forums for example. 

10 minutes ago, opentype said:

Just to clarify: Post attachments aren’t tied to an app like gallery images are. The attachments are “core uploads” just connected to a user, which can be used globally. So a Pages tab wouldn’t really make sense from this technical point of view, since the image isn’t uploaded “to Pages” and one could even deactivate or delete the Pages app. The images would still appear as Post Attachment, ready to be posted in the forums for example. 

While that may make sense from the software developer's technical viewpoint, it makes no sense from from the typical IPS users standpoint.  Why are some images "segregated" while others are not?  Using your example, one could also just as readily deactivate or delete the Gallery app, or the Downloads app.  Should those files also remain a part of the available attachments?  

Hi Kent,

This is kind of a new angle on a common theme that has come up a lot. Basically the integration of forum post images and other apps. I know of at least a couple of related threads that you might find interesting.

1 hour ago, superj707 said:

Hi Kent,

This is kind of a new angle on a common theme that has come up a lot. Basically the integration of forum post images and other apps. I know of at least a couple of related threads that you might find interesting.

Thanks for that!  Interesting reads -- I also posted and linked back to this thread in each of those.  Suffice it to say that overall media management needs some serious attention.

Archived