Wiki Editing Overrides Edit Permissions

BN_IT_Support

I'm not sure if this is a bug or WAI but if you enable Wiki style editing on a Pages database this appears to override the set of groups who can Edit records in the database's permissions.  I had assumed, possibly incorrectly, that wiki-style editing allowed anyone in a group with permission to edit a database's records to edit all records irrespective of who owned them, but what is appears to do is to allow anyone in a group with permission to view a database's records to edit them irrespective of who owns them.  As far as I can tell the only thing that is being checked for is if someone is logged in and the record isn't locked or hidden.

public function canEdit( $member=NULL )
	{
		if ( ( ( static::database()->options['indefinite_own_edit'] AND \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id === $this->member_id ) OR ( \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->member_id and static::database()->all_editable ) ) AND ! $this->locked() AND ! $this->hidden() )
		{
			return TRUE;
		}

if ( parent::canEdit( $member ) )
		{
			/* Test against specific perms for this category */
			return $this->container()->can( 'edit', $member );
		}

return FALSE;
	}

The description for the wiki editing says:

Enabling this option will allow any user to edit any non-locked item, similar to a wiki. When not enabled, users can only edit their own non-locked item (with appropriate permissions).

As I say this may be a bug and I personally think that wiki-editing should only apply to groups that also have permission to edit a database's records, but if not then I think this description needs to be clearer to say '... allow any user who can view the database records to also edit any non-locked items...'.

Thank you

• Management

The very definition of a wiki is: 

a website that allows anyone to add,delete, or revise content by using a web browser.

A specific group that can edit others' entries would be a moderator. :)

4 hours ago, Lindy said:

The very definition of a wiki is: 

A specific group that can edit others' entries would be a moderator. :)

I don't disagree, but in this context where you can also setup specific edit permissions then I personally misunderstood how the two settings would interact and particularly the fact that the wiki setting would take precedence over the edit setting.  If that is WAI then so be it, but I would suggest that this could be made clearer in the description please.

Archived