Pages: Record Image not in Article

socceronly

Perhaps this is already possible and I am missing it. 

It would be great if we could select a record image for the list view of articles, but not have that image automatically in the record at the top. 

It would be nice to have record image and control the layout of it inside the article.

Thanks!

:) 

Well at least I'm not posting existing features again... LOL.

I think this would be very helpful for laying out an article/record. 

You really need it for article records for the list view, but it immediately dictates how the article looks. Separating the two would be really handy.

Right now I am making a whole bunch of stuff with sub headers in it, and it looks like a mess. 

I guess the idea is, if you want to customize it, you customize it (by editing the template and/or the custom.css). And it would only take a second to delete that one line which outputs the image. 

It wouldn’t hurt to give the Record Image field display options though. For example, people have complained that the field neither can get a description (to be visible in the form) nor can it get a specific place in the form. It’s currently a “special field” and its missing options other fields have. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2016 at 1:51 PM, opentype said:

There is no setting for that at the moment. It’s that stuff that is defined in whatever record view template you pick. 

How do we get this on the priority list for IPS development?

For example, I'd love to be able to use your SuperGrid template, but I do NOT want record images in the body page for the approximate 1500 posts/records that I;m trying to edit and integrate, after conversion from Wordpress.  

It would be nice to be able to identify one of the images within a post (record) to become the Record Image, similar to how you can specify a specific image to be an Album Cover. 

13 minutes ago, KentT said:

For example, I'd love to be able to use your SuperGrid template, but I do NOT want record images in the body page for the approximate 1500 posts/records that I;m trying to edit and integrate, after conversion from Wordpress.  

As said above, it’s super easy to get rid of the image by editing the template. I give you a step-by-step guide if you need it. 

13 minutes ago, KentT said:

It would be nice to be able to identify one of the images within a post (record) to become the Record Image, similar to how you can specify a specific image to be an Album Cover. 

That’s one reason why I told you in the other topic, it’s not a good idea to have the images just as linked URL resources in the article text. Or they will always be just part of the article text and using and accessing them some other way will get very tricky or impossible. They should to be uploaded as IPS attachments or to a Pages database image field to even lay the foundation of the feature you suggested. But that’s just a general comment. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this functionality. 

38 minutes ago, opentype said:

As said above, it’s super easy to get rid of the image by editing the template. I give you a step-by-step guide if you need it. 

That’s one reason why I told you in the other topic, it’s not a good idea to have the images just as linked URL resources in the article text. Or they will always be just part of the article text and using and accessing them some other way will get very tricky or impossible. They should to be uploaded as IPS attachments or to a Pages database image field to even lay the foundation of the feature you suggested. But that’s just a general comment. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this functionality. 

I'd love to have the instructions for editing the record display template. I'd love to add more visuals to record lists and such -- other than my profile pic/avatar where I'm shown as the author.

I don't mind uploading a record image for each of the approximate 1500 pages, but I didn't want to upload all 7500 images that I'm dealing with all over again.  With no ability to organize them in the Attached Images list, they'd be almost impossible to find and reuse. 

As it is, I have them organized into folders on the server and can find them that way.  I've worked through about 150 posts so far, and am "publishing them" by changing category permissions, as I complete a category.

That brings up another thing -- I'd love to be able to associate an icon/thumbnail to a category also...

Archived