Linking to a specific DB filter.

pilotguy

I have this database setup at my site that has multiple categories.  I created a drop down menu that was to take to you a specified filtered category.  It worked well for a bit - I then noticed the CSRF key had changed from what was there before.  So this prompted this post and one more question.

• Do these keys change? (I mean obviously they do but how often)
  • Is there a BETTER way of linking to the filtered category?

17 hours ago, pilotguy said:

• Do these keys change? (I mean obviously they do but how often)

They are meant to be per user. You can create the custom links from templates to be able to be clicked by each user individually, but you are out of luck to make a simple public link to a filter result. It was possible in 3.4, but removed in 4.0. I have been complaining about ever since. @Matt said he put it on his to-do list, @Charles brushed it off, stating that filters can potentially be personal to each user – which is true, but probably just not the case in over 90% of Pages databases in use. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

They are meant to be per user. You can create the custom links from templates to be able to be clicked by each user individually, but you are out of luck to make a simple public link to a filter result. It was possible in 3.4, but removed in 4.0. I have been complaining about ever since. @Matt said he put it on his to-do list, @Charles brushed it off, stating that filters can potentially be personal to each user – which is true, but probably just not the case in over 90% of Pages database in use. 

Hmm.. That's unfortunate to hear.  Why "brush off" that ability?  I don't understand as it has uses, especially for mobile folks (no need to scroll all the way down to find the filters and apply them, just click the link)  Oh well, thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, opentype said:

... @Charles brushed it off, stating that filters can potentially be personal to each user – which is true, but probably just not the case in over 90% of Pages databases in use. 

While in activity stream, that's entirely fine apparently, just type in random IDs and find potential titles for streams etc. that was not meant for others to see. Logic. 

There's no point in not having linkable filters and other type of search terms that everyone can access and create for themselves and which have no personal connection to anyone, except that they may share the link.

However, the actitviy streams is saved set of filters and can be given a name that is closely connected to the user and their intention of the stream, where it would actually make sense to make it less likely to stumble upon.

tldr; I agree with you opentype

Archived