Issues After Upgrade

Stritix

I have just upgraded my community from IPB3 to IPS4, however there are two issues. Posts have weird characters and broken words. For example: "Good, on a system I own and around £20 are my requirements" there should be no "Â". There's a post which randomly contains " ​" for no apparent reason. There's a lot of similar issues with other posts. There's also huge gaps in posts where users have put spaces.  How do I fix these issues?

Another example "To develop a rival to Nintendo’s Mario, Sega hosted an in-house design contest that produced a new hedgehog mascot codenamed “Mr. Needlemouse.� Artists colored him cobalt blue and outfitted him in large red shoes that evoked allusions to boots warn by Michael Jackson and Santa Claus. Styled as an underdog with attitude, Sonic appealed to Generation X gamers."

Just now, Cloud 9 said:

Your database isnt utf8-mb4

You really need to run the database convert script to update the db to utf8-mb4 before you upgrade, have you got a backup

The script is in admin/utf8convert

I have got a backup. Where can I find the database convert script? I assumed the IPS4 upgrade process handled this. The upgrade said everything was fine before it began.

36 minutes ago, Cloud 9 said:

Its in the IPS4 download in /admin/convertutf8/

Youll need to go back to 3.4.x first i think, run the dB converter ( from memory you need to run the full convert i think - been a while since i did it) and then upgrade to IPS4

It says everything is fine. I used the tools featured to check and fix as well. I don't understand what the problem is.

Welcome

The database tables are UTF-8, collations are correct and there is nothing to convert. You can proceed with the upgrade.

10 hours ago, Cloud 9 said:

Dont know then, it worked for me, raise a support ticket, also look at your tables and see what it says they are

Are you sure your looking at the old db ?

I'm sure. It's quite unusual. I raised a support ticket yesterday.

Just now, Martin A. said:

My guess would be that you're still waiting on your post content being rebuilt. On the ACP dashboard you'll probably see a bunch of background processes working, or waiting in line.

Just wait for them to finish before you panic. 

All background processes finished before I posted this topic.

• 4 months later...

The character spacing is controlled here: 

ACP → Customization → Editor → Settings → Return Key Behaviour 

I had my 14 year old board converted to IPS and spacing from converted Topics was screwy. The IPS Board keyboard return default is Start New Paragraph. Change yours to Go To Next Line. This may close up some of the spaces, not sure but worth a try.

Archived