UTF8 to UTF8MB4 Converter-Testing

Batnik

I have made a small script that creates some "sql queries" to convert your database from utf8 to utf8mb4.

THIS IS A TEST-SCRIPT <USE ONLY ON A TEST-BOARD>

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

1. Download this script.
2. Upload it to the root directory of your test-forum
3. Run it in your browser by entering <yourforumurl>/dbc.php
4. Copy all of the commands and run all of them on your database
5. Change your /conf_global.php
'sql_utf8mb4' => true,

i have not tested this yet at all, it took me 1 hour to create that script, so run only on test forums, it might be that it has to be optimized.

dbc.php

if would be nice if someone can download and test it on a test forum to see if it works becose i do not have a test forum installed ^_^

running this script will not harm anything, it only generates sql-queries that you have to execute on your database.

warning: it will create sql-queries to covert to utf8mb4 for ALL TABLES AND COLUMNS that are included in your DATABASE.

24 minutes ago, Batnik said:

its related to bad and not very userfriendly installation where some choices can not be undone.

and this is invision problem.

installation asks if you want utf8 or utf8mb4 iirc; and you could just change the database and tables to utf8mb4 later via the database directly or phpmyadmin.

no? They don't control your server software. not like they are modifying or installing php for you?

2 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

installation asks if you want utf8 or utf8mb4 iirc; and you could just change the database and tables to utf8mb4 later via the database directly or phpmyadmin.

no? They don't control your server software. not like they are modifying or installing php for you?

I missed this conversion opportunity because I did not know that emojis need UTF8mb4. It was not explained on the 3.4 to 4.0 upgrade.

I think that IPS should adapt the conversion script for those that missed the conversion back there (from 3.4 to 4.0) to allow the conversion on 4.1 series.

Archived