Purchasing subscription when renewal/invoice is pending

MSUKForum

When  a user has purchased a subscription package and it expires, if they try to add it to their basket they get this message:

Sorry, there is a problem

You are only allowed to purchase one of this product, and you have already done so.

Error code: 1X247/1

I understand this as they must pay through the invoice but it would be a lot better if this screen redirects to the payments for invoice renewal, instead of an error that is confusing to the user.

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, DSystem said:

I also opened a topic on this subject and had no answer.

Then I found the solution:

AdminCP-> Commerce-> Products -> Edit-> Client Area Settings -> Allow customer to renew? ENABLE

They still get an error when attempting to purchase from store after expiry though right? Or does this change that?

Ok so I've made it so purchases do not expire so soon if not paid. A year then added a link in the purchase popup. This is not very intuitive. Actually hurts subscriptions by making it hard for them to purchase.

When a product expires it should allow you to repurchase from the store with whatever new terms you select I think.

Yes. To work around the problem I changed the error text in languages:

key: err_subscription_bought

in:

You are only allowed to purchase one of this product, and you have already done so.

for:

You can subscribe to this item once. <br /> Renew your subscription <a href='/clients/purchases/'> Clicking Here </a>. </ Br> (Then click the "Renew Now" button)

1 minute ago, DSystem said:

Yes. To work around the problem I changed the error text in languages:

key: err_subscription_bought

in:

for:

You can subscribe to this item once. <br /> Renew your subscription <a href='/clients/purchases/'> Clicking Here </a>. </ Br> (Then click the "Renew Now" button)

Just did something similar myself.

I don't believe the Commerce app has been properly optimised to manage membership subscriptions. It works adequately but on closer inspection many flaws can be found. It seems crazy to me as I would expect many users to have a subscription model in place. I must be wrong as IPS don't seem to prioritise that app at all.

Sometimes I feel I'm the only person using the app :lol:

2 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

I don't believe the Commerce app has been properly optimised to manage membership subscriptions. It works adequately but on closer inspection many flaws can be found. It seems crazy to me as I would expect many users to have a subscription model in place. I must be wrong as IPS don't seem to prioritise that app at all.

Sometimes I feel I'm the only person using the app :lol:

I'd like to see improvements myself subscriptions mainly...

Archived