change database username

Lenny Warren

When I setup my database, I made the user milcol, and now I get all my board validation emails going out from

milcol@militariacollectors.network

I really want this to be admin@militariacollectors.network

Is this as simple as changing the db user name in config.gobal.php and on my server? I'm presuming it may not be that simple?

The system email adress is set to admin, but on bounced emails etc. it shows as milcol

X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; milcol@militariacollectors.network

This is giving me hassles as there seems to be a weird email issue with BTInternet, when validation emails get bounced,

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.1.1) -
   Please report any problems to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox
   and include your sending ip address with an example header of your email

and the BT postmaster wants me to send test messages from that email account.

It seems to be a bit of both, emails come out from admin@militariacollectors.network but in the headers, I see milcol@militariacollectors.network

I'm wondering if this is more hassle than it's worth, or is it easy to change the database user name without breaking things? I would feel better if I DID change the database username...

26 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Your incoming and out going mail should now be working as should be.

The mail server was kicking it back because of no user mail account by that name.

Ah, gotcha.... many thanks for that... :) I had a redirect on the admin email address to my personal address.

Still not working. This seems to be a BT Internet issue if you google it...

<XXXXX@btinternet.com>: host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] said: 554
   Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) - Please report any problems
   to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox and include your sending ip
   address with an example header of your email (in reply to end of DATA
   command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; warren-server.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: AF89F36CFAF
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; milcol@militariacollectors.network
Arrival-Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:50:40 +0000 (GMT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; XXXXXXX@btinternet.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) -
   Please report any problems to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox
   and include your sending ip address with an example header of your email

From: Militaria Collectors Network <admin@militariacollectors.network>
Subject: Feedback required from the MCN
Date: 13 February 2016 at 16:50:40 GMT
To: XXXX@btinternet.com

Going back to my original query, if I want to change my database user name, is it just a case of changing the user name on the database and then amending the conf_global.php?

10 minutes ago, Lenny Warren said:

Still not working. This seems to be a BT Internet issue if you google it...

It sounds like BT has your site or the IP of the server on its internal blacklist. That problem might therefore persist for all BT recipient unless you get your site whitelisted again. 

I just had that problem with Yahoo. Filled out an online form and it was resolved within 48 h. 

My email quit working some time after the upgrade from 3.4.7 to 4.1.7. I noticed it in 4.1.8 and performed the 4.1.8.1 upgrade with no luck.
Changed my email settings to SMTP as well and all has been working as it should.
With this said being this fixed your issue and you now have incoming and outgoing mail I wouldn't be to concerned with the BT issue unless it directly affects you.

As for the database user name itself, it has no bearing on the mail services or settings. You actually want this to be different from the rest of your user name accounts in your email account listing. Changing it as you are thinking can open you up to a serious hacker issue being you will be changing it to a known account from your account list.

Another is if you are on a shared hosting, your host set you up with a cpanel / MySQL user account where I have seen issues with lost or corrupted databases with others big and small forums where people did what you want to do. I own another IPB license where the original owner thought he was tech savey and destroyed his database. I am not saying it can't be done because it can, but without using proper procedure you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

This is just one more reason I enjoy my unmanaged hosting. No tickets, less chances of an inexperienced tech giving the wrong advice or wrong procedure, or canned answers because they just don't know how or where to fix the issues.

I am in no way an advocate to any cloud hosting systems. But in your case if you are still having issues with your host then personally I'd move on or move over to IPS hosting where they can manage your site properly and less headaches to you.

Hi @Woodsman, I'm more than happy with my hosting, which is a managed VPS with Layershift. Their techs are superb, and go above and beyond to sort things. All extremely competent too. In fact, one of them rebuilt a 10 year old IPB 2.3 forum when support here wouldn't. ;) They did it as they just wanted to make it work. I've never experienced customer support like it...

My techs had issues with smtp mail, so we moved back to php. The BT Internet is a weird one and seems to be a known issue, reading between the lines from the BT Postmaster. ;)

Ok now you have me confused which is something only my wife can do.

Your Host provider is Layershift. Where does BT come into play? Is this an Internet Service Provider?

If so you may be experiencing a port 25 issue where quite a few ISP's here in the States block port 25 due to high spam issues.

To fix this you can have your host change this to another usable port like port 26 for example. Years ago I had this issue with Centrytel here in Wisconsin. I changed to port 26 via the modem software and in my php.ini file and the issue was fixed.

No, I have a managed VPS, hosted by Layershift. I have my own mail servers. I wouldn't touch ISP mail with the proverbial ten foot pole.

The issue with BT Internet, whom I wouldn't get my broadband from either, (use FTTC from Zen Internet) is that if a subsribing member is on a BTinternet email address, their mail server bounces the validation emails. It seems to be a known issue if you google it. Their postmaster is looking into it. ;)

Archived