Upgrade forum running on 3.2.3?

StormRise

My IPS forum is running on 3.2.3 because I really don't know how to upgrade it, what disruption it might cause, what skins I will lose and whether it might wipe my entire forum of all it's posts and what to do if it does..

I am completely clueless about how safe it is and yet I really don't want to be running a way out of date board for my members. (although I'm aware that at 3.2.3 I probably am already running a way out of date board)..

Help and advice needed.

Thanks so much..

All 3rd party stuff will need to be re-made. You can checkout the marketplace if something similar to what you use exists or if there is an updated version of the app(s)/plugins.
Skins/Themes count as 3rd party aswell.

You won't be losing any posts, members etc.

Check us out (my signature), we can also do a test-upgrade for you so you can see what it will be like before touching your production site ;)

Thanks for your reply Ahmad, I appreciate it..

I don't mind losing skins, as long as I know that will happen I can always make more, I just wasn't sure what would be effected and it was the posts and such that I didn't want to risk losing..

Also it says download and then upgrade as usual, but I don't know what as usual means because I've never done it before and I don't even know if I can just skip straight to the latest upgrade or if I have to go through them all since I made my forum, or where to find them if I do..

Totally losing my mind! lol

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken but on the link you gave me it says..

" So you think you are ready to take the plunge and try a test install / upgrade from your current IP Board to the current IPS4.0 beta and later to the final release. Well we will see."

And I don't want to risk a test version..

But thanks all the same. :0)

I would heavily recommend doing a test upgrade (don't touch production) first.  We had/have many issues on a stock 3.4.8 upgrade to 4.1.5.2.  The board is running ok now, but it took a couple of weeks of effort to get it there.

Recruiting a group to beta test the 4.1.7 instance once you're upgraded would be a big help.

Storm, it might be in your best interest to get IPS involved so they can do this for you, but you must have a full back up of the site prior to any upgrade. Again I'm sure IPS will help in guidance along with members here.

Ping them a support ticket and have a word with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Followed your advice Dean and the upgrade happened quite smoothly.

I did lose all my skins, but then on a board that was so out of date I kind of expected that.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and advice, I really appreciate all of your replies. 

Archived