Please add a rotate pic option

Square Wheels

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Should a lack of staff response be interpreted as a lack of interest?

No.

The correct avenue for such a topic would in fact be https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/

Which is monitored all throughout office hours of IPS

(If they are in-fact being uploaded sideways to what the original picture is)

Edited by RADStudios

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I asked support about it, they told me it's not a bug and working as designed, so posting it as a bug will likely get the same response.

Strange, if the original picture is not sideways, how is uploading sideways not a bug o.O

Edited by RADStudios

I tried pleading my case, these are some of the responses I got in my ticket ( 928984 ).  I won't list staff names as I don't think that's right to do.

--------------------------------------------

The problem here is that the image itself will have that orientation. This is because the exif data in the image is read and orients the image in the correct way it was taken. So for example if someone has their phone so it does not rotate automatically, then turns their camera to take the photo, they will have actually taken the photo sideways.

As we appreciate the feedback, this is the way the system works at this point in time. If you wish to express your feedback in our Product Feedback forums so that it may officially be considered and others may comment on the issue, you are free to do so.

If you hold your phone vertically (which these photos are) this is an incorrect orientation as the phone is reading it as horizontal and marking it as such. Then when it's uploaded it looks as it does.

Best suggestion would be to preview the image on their computer and correct it (most operating systems have an image viewer which you can rotate an image) prior to uploading it till a more elegant solution can be made within the suite.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

If you hold your phone vertically (which these photos are) this is an incorrect orientation as the phone is reading it as horizontal and marking it as such. Then when it's uploaded it looks as it does.

This person is thinking video, it is not incorrect to take a portrait! That's why it is called portrait vs. landscape. But with cameras you are physically holding the camera sideways, so the way to fix is edit. Newer technology fixes this for you as many go from phone to site—tag is set with camera, destination must detect it.

2 hours ago, Clover13 said:

OK so they are saying it's a setting in the phone

No, the phone knows how you held it so sets an orientation tag. This site does not pick up the tag and uses the default setting.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Best suggestion would be to preview the image on their computer and correct it (most operating systems have an image viewer which you can rotate an image) prior to uploading it till a more elegant solution can be made within the suite.

Hopefully soon because that is awkard and not keeping up with technology, everyone uses their phones. :) 

Edited by chilihead

• 4 weeks later...

IPS Support said in 3.4.8 they won't add support for this.  Not sure what they'll do for 4.x.

I wrote a script to do rotations via AJAX calls using JPEGTran (lossless JPEG rotation) and ImageMagick (GIFs/PNGs).

It works for me, but it isn't hook ready.  I have it so I can run it when I need to as an admin, but I need to add the security around it so only an admin, mod or original poster of the actual picture can rotate it.  My version is just a hacky basline that works, it needs enhancement/revision still, just haven't had time to do it yet.

• Management

For anyone using IP.Board 3.x - there will not be a solution to this, I'm afraid. 

For IPS4, auto-orientation is built in. Further, Gallery has a rotate button. If you are using IPS4 and find the orientation isn't set correctly, the developers have asked that you kindly submit a ticket with specific examples so they can investigate. They have been unable to reproduce any issues in IPS4 thus far. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

For IPS4, auto-orientation is built in. Further, Gallery has a rotate button. If you are using IPS4 and find the orientation isn't set correctly, the developers have asked that you kindly submit a ticket with specific examples so they can investigate. They have been unable to reproduce any issues in IPS4 thus far. 

I submitted 928984 and was essentially told it's working as designed.  If I wanted it changed I should submit a comment here, hence this post.  If an iPhone user (plus others) upload pics pretty much anywhere else, they are oriented correctly, If they upload them here, they are almost always sideways.