Users having problems staying logged in

Michael R

Ever since upgrading to 4, many of my users have been experiencing issues with being able to stay logged in. I cannot seem to narrow this down to OS and/or browser. It has happened to me a couple of times, but it does not seem to happen as often to me as it seems to be happening to others.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If you have a lot of visitors that come from behind Intranets, you may want to check the following:

Systems-> Security-> Security Settings-> 

Change Setting:
"Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" - On
"Check IP address when validating session?" - Off

* note, read the descriptions.

I had the same issue you have with the old software and the upgrade and this took care of it for me.

23 hours ago, Michael R said:

Ever since upgrading to 4, many of my users have been experiencing issues with being able to stay logged in. I cannot seem to narrow this down to OS and/or browser. It has happened to me a couple of times, but it does not seem to happen as often to me as it seems to be happening to others.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I can confirm that users are complaining about the same on my site after the upgrade. Can't see any pattern, but I'll try the first of the two settings suggested by @tnn

This was an issue on one forum I know of this summer after "upgrading" to IPS4. But it was just 1 user out of 80 monthly active users that reported this issue. But this issue seems to have been "solved" after updating to 4.0.13.1

"Check IP address when validating session?", is on by default and is enabled on the forum.

I don't know exactly how this setting works and if it's really necessary to disable it on the forum. I just have this description for this setting:

If your site is likely to be used by many users in an intranet situation (such as an office or university), you may need to disable this setting to prevent users being logged out. However, when disabled, there is a greater risk of session hijacking. In most environments, this setting should be left on.

Archived