Moving /Forum to /Forums with 4.0

Lab Rats Rule

Help!  i just migrated and my V-bul was under /forums.  So now I need my IPB moved from /forum to /forums instead.  I can't find anything to change the address in the new admin CP.  I did change the conf_global file.  

Without changing anything in the admin cp, the forum works, but the admin cp fails.

Please if anyone can help me fast.  I need to get to bed.

Our official support is via the client area, the community if for help from other community members typically.

What version of IPS Software are you using?  

If this is 3.4.x, then you need to update the conf_global.php file with the new url, then log into the admincp, and update your uploads paths and urls under general settings and in any app setting if needed, then re-cache your skins.

If this is 4.0, then you need to update the conf_global.php file with the new url, then run the support tool to clear the cache.

If you are not able to load the admincp, check your htaccess files to ensure they have the proper paths if that applies.

If you still need help, please file a support ticket and we can assist you 

Hi Rhett, long time no see...  I understand about members helping here,  I put in a support request Friday. 

Anyways, thank you!  

Now the problem is that my version 4 install came without instructions or a support tool.  Just came with the directory files.  so I installed it without directions,  Can I run the support tool that came with a 3.4.7 back in October on 4?  And if so, which one.  

Yes a .htaccess complicates things because I have a redirect going,  But I was removing it via cpanel.  I guess my file manager wasn't showing the file still being there, but filezilla did.    Realized this after the fact.  Yes my admin CP was gone,

And during one of my attempts , very late last night at 5 AM,  I accidentally did a permanent redirect.  Groan....

The support tool for 34x is just for 34x

As Rhett has said to do the same (more or less) in 4 you just need to go to Support in the 4x ACP and the "something is not working right" and keep clicking through it (stop when it wants to submit a ticket though do not go that far)

I cannot think of a reason the 4x ACP would not work if you have no old htaccess files in it. Check in /admin and just in the forums directory too. Are you getting a 404 not found error at /admin or something else ?

The support tool in the ACP is to in effect update the caches etc. There was an external 4x tool at one early point but its function was 'auto added' into the ACP to save time.

The support tool for 34x is just for 34x

As Rhett has said to do the same (more or less) in 4 you just need to go to Support in the 4x ACP and the "something is not working right" and keep clicking through it (stop when it wants to submit a ticket though do not go that far)

I cannot think of a reason the 4x ACP would not work if you have no old htaccess files in it. Check in /admin and just in the forums directory too. Are you getting a 404 not found error at /admin or something else ?

The support tool in the ACP is to in effect update the caches etc. There was an external 4x tool at one early point but its function was 'auto added' into the ACP to save time.

With an internal support tool, if your admin CP is not working, you can't use it.  Defeats the purpose, or am I missing something here?  Any chance I can I have the old  external 4 tools?

So, does 4 automatically detect your upload and datastore locations?

I cant remember my errors and I am leaving for work.  I think I recall a 404,

IPS4 reads from the conf file, the acp should load once you edit the con_global.php, then you run the support tool in IPS4. If the ACP is not loading, then you perhaps have some other re-direct happening preventing it, perhaps a hidden .htaccess file in the forum directory or root maybe? 

What version of 4.0 are you on?

Now I wonder if I should do this?  Opinions?  

The forum was given to me and it arrived in a hacked state and using /forums.  I cleaned things up with fresh V-BUL files (no dirty files were ever on my server, my computer antivirus found them in  the files), then installed IPB 3.8 in /forum then migrated, them went to IPB 4.  

Hopefully the migration didn't pull anything bad out of the DB.  But if it did, wouldn't it be safer to use the new /forum?  Or am I thinking wrong here?

From what I understand, the prev owner banned "damaging" google bots, so search engine indexing isn't an issue. >_<  

Archived