Email notification settings change is needed

broni

The setting referenced in vB was introduced at a time when when e-mail clients didn't support threaded discussions (based on your screenshot, it appears yours still doesn't, so maybe that's the crux of your issue. :lol:)

The problem is not just having the inbox full of emails.  It is also the "costs" that community owners may have to support for sending the huge amount of emails that instant notifications may require.  After switching to IPB, I had for the first time emails dropped because the hourly quota of my old hosting was exceeded.  Using services such as Mandrill, this may have a significant impact on the monthly bill.  Moreover, if we keep sending emails to people that do not visit the community, we increase the chances of having them marking the emails as spam.

I don't think we're necessarily opposed to adding a setting to allow this and we'll give this consideration - but I'm not sure the demand value (scientific poll notwithstanding) is there. Daily and weekly digests are already an option as is disabling e-mail altogether.

Good to hear :)

• 5 weeks later...

From the latest blog post, announcing 4.1

Ability to limit the number of emails received

In IPS 4.1, you can optionally choose to receive just one email notification per content item until you revisit the community, rather than a separate email for each new reply. This is an option that was previously available in IPB 3.x that we have reintroduced based on feedback.

Actually I'm going to re-open a ticket and ask if this is a choice that is made per-content item, or applies globally to all followed content. Will ask them to reply in here...

Edit: Had to submit a new ticket, but have asked the question and requested a reply in here if possible. 

Actually I'm going to re-open a ticket and ask if this is a choice that is made per-content item, or applies globally to all followed content. Will ask them to reply in here...

Edit: Had to submit a new ticket, but have asked the question and requested a reply in here if possible. 

It's a per-user option that applies to all content that user chooses to follow :) 

skitched-20150908-053643.thumb.png.f8c97

Archived