XCache Help?

I'm trying to enable Xcache to speed up my site a little more but I can't seem to get it to work. As soon as I upload the 'constants.php' my site throws errors. Can't even hit the "continue" to finish it off.

I'm not sure if it's my server configuration (and if it is I have a dedicated server so I can adjust) or if there is something else going on.

The error it throws:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'xcache_set(): XCache var cache was not initialized properly. Check php log for actual reason' in /MYPATH/system/Data/Cache/Xcache.php:66 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::errorHandler(2, 'xcache_set(): X...', '/home/pirate/pu...', 66, Array) #1 /MYPATH/system/Data/Cache/Xcache.php(66): xcache_set('2d1130d218_sett...', '{"archive_on":"...') #2 /MYPATH/system/Data/AbstractData.php(90): IPS\Data\Cache\_Xcache->set('settings', '{"archive_on":"...') #3 /MYPATH/system/Data/Store.php(117): IPS\Data\_AbstractData->__set('settings', Array) #4 /MYPATH/system/Settings/Settings.php(135): IPS\Data\_Store->__get('settings') #5 /MYPATH/system/Settings/Settings.php(88): IPS\_Settings->loadFromDb() #6 /MYPATH/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(290): IPS\_Settings->__get('task_use_cron') #7 [internal function]: IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->__destruct() #8 in /MYPATH/system/Data/Cache/Xcache.php on line 66

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'xcache_set(): XCache var cache was not initialized properly. Check php log for actual reason' in /MYPATH/system/Data/Cache/Xcache.php:66 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::errorHandler(2, 'xcache_set(): X...', '/home/pirate/pu...', 66, Array) #1 /MYPATH/system/Data/Cache/Xcache.php(66): xcache_set('2d1130d218_sess...', '{"member_name":...') #2 /MYPATH/system/Data/AbstractData.php(90): IPS\Data\Cache\_Xcache->set('session_f04ce3d...', '{"member_name":...') #3 /MYPATH/system/Session/Front.php(270): IPS\Data\_AbstractData->__set('session_f04ce3d...', Array) #4 [internal function]: IPS\Session\_Front->write('f04ce3d7215d588...', '') #5 {main} thrown in /MYPATH/system/Data/Cache/Xcache.php on line 66

And when I look in my log file this is the error that it's throwing:

[Fri Jul 10 14:05:45 2015] [error] [client IP] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'ErrorException' with message 'xcache_set(): XCache var cache was no$

I'm not uber familiar with Caching, in fact this is the first time I've even tempted to set it up (but after reading about it I figure it would be good to try).

I'm no expert on Xcache, but I've read and been told the built in opcache in newer PHP is faster than APC and Xcache, can you use that?  Again, have not tested myself, I use the built in Opcache and memcached in my testing without issues.

Okay, so I'm working on getting memcache working and when I try to enable it, it's saying that it's not a valid "server". Can anyone show me their setup so I can if I'm doing something wrong here?

Never mind. Determined I missed a step here.

I'm not uber familiar with Caching, in fact this is the first time I've even tempted to set it up (but after reading about it I figure it would be good to try).

You did make sure you had the parameters in the .ini file for xCache to set the amount of RAM available and other parameters, correct?

As for "script to turn it on"... if you are referring to memcached and you installed from an RPM, then there should already be a script in /etc/init.d - you just need to make sure it's enabled to auto-start.  If you compiled from scratch then you normally need to create the script.

Archived