HTML Posting

Omines

Why the hell can people without the "post HTML" privilege copy-paste HTML content into CKEditor and the forum software will just take that? Is this a bug in 4.0.61, or did I just miss it in earlier versions?

The problem is apparent in this post: http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/3566-2015-player-councils-announced/

The user copy-pasted a block from a vbulletin forum and that gets converted to HTML by CKEditor. As you can see, it includes a lot of rubbish styling like widths, breaking my layout. I'm sure the HTML is filtered properly, but this kind of thing is unwanted on most if not all forums.

For absolute clarity, only the Administrator group has HTML privileges on my forums, this user certainly does not.

As you can see, it includes a lot of rubbish styling like widths, breaking my layout.

​And who decides which styling is wanted and which is rubbish?

This type of “rich content copying” is a feature, not a bug. If one doesn’t like it, one can always change the CKeditor settings. I set mine to “plain text copy and paste only”. But that’s just my preference. I’m sure a lot of user prefer to be able to copy styling, links, images and so on. 

While being able to post some styling is nice, this isn't just some styling. This is a complete section of a website. Surely some limits must be set.

​Again: how should that work? Where would you draw the line?
How would you expect that vBulletin post to be restyled when posted here? If certain things are left out, the result will very likely be much worse. 

Archived