Quoting a record

Meddysong

Am I overlooking an option somewhere? I note on the Bug Tracker that we can report a record but not quote it. On my own site I can see that I can report one or edit it, but not quote it.

I'm allowing comments and it's possible to quote them but still not the original record. Shouldn't it be the case that if you're allowing comments, then you ought to be able to quote from the original record too?

Scenario: My record is a task I would like an employee to carry out. I've added some smaller points (often questions) within the task. She's responding to it and would ideally quote the individual bullets. Since there's no option to do so, she's instead copied and pasted the text, and then prefixed my comments with > to indicate a quote.

Am I overlooking something? Or is this a feature that isn't present but maybe should be considered?

Am I overlooking an option somewhere? I note on the Bug Tracker that we can report a record but not quote it. On my own site I can see that I can report one or edit it, but not quote it.

I'm allowing comments and it's possible to quote them but still not the original record. Shouldn't it be the case that if you're allowing comments, then you ought to be able to quote from the original record too?

Scenario: My record is a task I would like an employee to carry out. I've added some smaller points (often questions) within the task. She's responding to it and would ideally quote the individual bullets. Since there's no option to do so, she's instead copied and pasted the text, and then prefixed my comments with > to indicate a quote.

Am I overlooking something? Or is this a feature that isn't present but maybe should be considered?

​.

I've never seen it before .. if I look into the templates then it refers to $comment->$idField .. which the article (first post (example bug tracker)) doesn't have ..

It passes ID's for single or mulit-qoutes ..

Not sure if that can be tweaked ..

Am I overlooking something? 

​It’s just not meant this way. You can also comment on files or images in the gallery, but would you expect to be able to have a quote function for the text description of the file or the image? You can’t even quote a blog entry I believe. The database records are in that same category. 

but would you expect to be able to have a quote function for the text description of the file or the image? 

Well no, of course not. The chief content of those records isn't text and a description isn't something that you would expect to refer to in chunks or otherwise break down.

You can’t even quote a blog entry I believe. The database records are in that same category. 

​I find that a little unexpected. A blog post could be equivalent to a lengthy forum post and, as in the latter's case, there might be instances when somebody commenting on it wishes to address certain elements. I'd say the same may on occasion be true of records which happen to be articles.

Archived